Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK anybody, need help ASAP. Tonite I went to start the 86 FSB Bronco and it freaked out. It would turn over but not fire up and it sounded like the starter was stuck? I could turn off the key but it would keep cranking and make GOD awful noises like when the car is started and you turn the key again. The battery ran down because I couldn't disconnect anything (Helpless), the wiring on the relay starter was smoking and got really hot. Finally the battery went down and it stopped and I got some pliers and disconnected the battery cables PISSED- the coating on the the positve cable was a little melted. The negative cable looks a little melted and a little around the starter relay. Sweaty looking? Tomorrow I will pull the battery and recharge and see if it fires up and I'll have to replace the cables maybe the relay as well? WTF?????? everything is new under the hood, alternator, starter relay, battery cables, battery. I'm not sure how old the starter is,had the FSB for just 2 yrs.
If anybody has had this problem please let me know, it's 9 PM 12/10/05 I will check the site later, any help or thoughts would be appreciated. need to get back on the road ASAP. THANKS -HAPPY HOLIDAYS

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I'm gonna guess that your starter relay shorted out, but if you turned the key off, it should have stopped the starter from turning over. I'm stumped. I'll give it some thought and see if I can come up with something helpfull.

EDIT correction, if your relay is f*cked it can still turn over.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Your new starter relay must be bad. Every time I've seen this happen it was the starter relay. Make sure you replace any cables that have melted insulation.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guy thanks for the quick response, the starter relay is brand new 2-3 months at best. I'm worried about the integrity of the wiring now, once things get hot, they don't work as good. I can replace the battery cables and relay but it's the other wiring I concerned about, the others that hook up to the relay. I don't understand what caused this, just starting and it got caught in some kind of loop and wore the battery down. I was helpless just watching this thing freak out and no tools. I was picking up take out dinner. I think the starter motor was trying to stay engaged and kept trying to start, that's where the power drain came from and why things got so hot. I think it's the starter itself. What do you guys think? the starter relay is almost brand new, so what's causing this freak out????????????????
I'll pull the battery in the morning and recharge it and I will replace battery cables, starter relay and see what hapens when I fire it up? Is there a possibility it would kick out a code? it's now 11:10 pm 12/10/05 I'll check back in the early AM just before I take off if anyone has any other thoughts.

Thanks again Guys! I stumped myself, so far this Bronco has been very good transportation.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I wouldn't put blame on your starter. I already mentioned your relay, I'm wondering if your ignition switch is sticking or is simply faulty, the one down your steering column. Before you hook up a fully charged batterey, disconnect the plug going to your steering column. Re-Connect the battery, then reconnect the plug. I suspect your starter may turn over at that point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thats my thought, possible ignition switch

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's early AM Sun. getting ready to go see about the FSB, is the plug in the steering column exposed where I can see it? I'll check the site here again in half an hour for response. Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It'a a little after 9 AM Sun, I think I found the plug in the steering column. It looks light grey and wide with a slight curve. I tried to unplug it but it's in there tight, you always need one of the special tools to get these things a part. I have a dental pick I use so I'll try one more time before I hook up. Do I need to replace the tumbler & Key in the steering column or another switch further down in the column. I'm going to get new cables and maybe a relay.
I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks Guys, you've been great!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its a rectangular shaped switch thats driven by a rod from the lock cylinder. Its mounted to the top of the steering column away from the cylinder. The easiest way to access it is to drop the column down a bit.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The news is not good for the FSB, I recharged the battery, replaced cables and starter relay. When I went to start , "NOTHING not even a click and then I noticed the the cables and relay were getting hot so I disconnected everything. Most likely now the starter is fried and I hope this hasn't affected the alternator which is almost new. With no power I can't even check for codes so I guess I will have to breakdown and take it in to be looked at.
God I hate giving mechanics money! Thanks everybody for the help!
Happy Holidays to everyone and I'll let you know what THEY find.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Just disconnect your starter and then you can retrieve any codes, if there is any.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys you all have been great with all your suggestions, that's why I like this site. I just towed it in and I'll find out Monday what's up, more then likley the starter is shot, I just don't have the where with all to try to figure this out I need to be on the road asap, job interview process,the holidays are coming and I will be moving in a month so I will let someone else do it this time as much as I hate to admit it.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to everyone!

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK quick update! Back on the road as they say and what a difference a new starter makes, had to replace another starter relay but it seems to run a whole lot smoother then it did before. The mechanic was very reasonable on price plus I'm back on ther road in less then a day so it was worth it. He did tell me that when turning the key in the tumbler it was hard and you had to turn all the way over to start but it shouldn't have to go that far to start.
What do I need to replace in the column to fix this? I promise I will do this myself! Thanks ~

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
It sounds like a broken actuator, BroncoBabe, I believe is replacing that right now.
Here is a pic of it

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Your new starter relay must be bad. Every time I've seen this happen it was the starter relay. Make sure you replace any cables that have melted insulation.
I told you to begin with that the starter relay was bad. Just because it was relatively new doesn't mean it's not bad. That is such a cheap part why wouldn't you just replace it? Obviously the starter got fried during the initial incident. Don't mean to rag on ya but a few of us told you starter relay and you just said that can't be it it's only 2-3 months old.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys Thanks!
Unfortunatley both relays got fried, the old starter wasn't conducting enough power IMO and it felt sluggish and probably going anyway. When I replaced the relay Sun morning it got hot right away and that was it,fried.
The new starter is humming now and the engine seems a lot smoother but I don't know how old the starter was it just didn't happen at convienent time for me. Stuff happens. Thanks for the pic of the actuator rod that's my next project. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
189 Posts
Replace the starter relay i know its new but it is bad. Its about the only thing that will make your truck do that. what happens it the relay welds its self together and sends continuous power to the starter. you should think about getting your starter tested after you replace the relay cables. it took a beating and may have been drawing to many A M P s cosing the relay to weld itself

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey jackmo thanks! Yeah I only had the new relay in for a couple of minutes and it melted. So new starter and another relay and now it starts and runs really smooth. The first time it started doing this I should have done something to remedy the problem instead of ignoring it. I was really lucky that it didn't have a major melt down. Word to the wise is don't be complacent FIX IT!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The relay is cooked or if its cold enough I have seen the little silver box that actually is the ignition switch get cold enough to when the grease causes the plastic mechanism to stick and even if you turn the key off it stays because its plastic and the metal rod breaks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also how many leads are on the relay if you hooked them up ass backwards it could do that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts