Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I will be the proud new owner of a rust free 79 Blue and White Bronco within the next few days, so now I need an idea on how to build a top remover that is either free standing or could even mount to the side of my house since it is too tall to fit in the garage, any ideas?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Several choics in the threads. If your dealing with low storage isssues. I have seen some people build a rack to back up under and store the top on the rack. THis enables you to still use your garage and store the top in a safe enviroment. It will cause tyou to have to back in the garage each time to store the truck. You would in a since bach under the top cause it is stored inches above the railing of the truck. Just an idea. Mounting an engine hoist on the side of your house with a rack to hold the top might cause folks to think your from Mississippi.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several choics in the threads. If your dealing with low storage isssues. I have seen some people build a rack to back up under and store the top on the rack. THis enables you to still use your garage and store the top in a safe enviroment. It will cause tyou to have to back in the garage each time to store the truck. You would in a since bach under the top cause it is stored inches above the railing of the truck. Just an idea. Mounting an engine hoist on the side of your house with a rack to hold the top might cause folks to think your from Mississippi.
actually Alabama originally, so close enough...

So build a rack level with the back of the bronco to slide the top onto(since like I said, I cant get it in the garage due to the height(6" lift and 35's)) and put it on hd castor wheels so I can roll it around, may work, but I live far away from people I know so would be difficult, but not impossible to remove it myself that way...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mounting an engine hoist on the side of your house with a rack to hold the top might cause folks to think your from Mississippi.
or worse... like Arkansas.... throw a chain hoist up in a tree... thats how my ex father in law took off his camper shell... and yes, he was from arkansas...

·
Registered
133 Posts
actually Alabama originally, so close enough...

So build a rack level with the back of the bronco to slide the top onto(since like I said, I cant get it in the garage due to the height(6" lift and 35's)) and put it on hd castor wheels so I can roll it around, may work, but I live far away from people I know so would be difficult, but not impossible to remove it myself that way...

you should be ok when i was 16 i bought my first bronco it was a 79 and i could remove top my self... hold on head with 2 hands on each side and jump of tailgate, it was the getting it back on that was difficult but still manageable ... i like my newer 94 bronco tho much lighter

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,450 Posts
you should be ok when i was 16 i bought my first bronco it was a 79 and i could remove top my self...hold on head with 2 hands on each side and jump of tailgate, it was the getting it back on that was difficult but still manageable ... i like my newer 94 bronco tho much lighter
Dude you hade 4 hands when you were 16? That's freakin awsome :rockon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you should be ok when i was 16 i bought my first bronco it was a 79 and i could remove top my self... hold on head with 2 hands on each side and jump of tailgate, it was the getting it back on that was difficult but still manageable ... i like my newer 94 bronco tho much lighter
Yeah, I used to do the same thing with the top on my 91 back in the day, but I would rather not do it that way and the 79's are a lot heavier...I have been trying to search for such a contraption, but to no avail, I guess I just need to find a soft top instead, like that's possible...:doh0715:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If you don't have something to hang it from (tree, carport, etc) just build a couple stands (think saw horses) that are a little taller than the bed rails of your truck (or taller than your spare tire if you have one). Put one on each side. Slide the top back and place the back on a 2x4 that spans your saw horses. Then put another 2x4 between the cab and the front of the top (still supported by the bed rails at this point). Get in the bed and lift the front of the top with your shoulders/back and use your free hands to slide the 2x4 under the top. Assuming the saw horses are tall enough the 2x4's should clear your bed and you should be able to drive out from under the top.

If you plan on removing/installing it that much it might be worth building a carport. That way you'd have an easy way to get the top on/off and the truck would have a place out of the weather (keep it rust free).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you plan on removing/installing it that much it might be worth building a carport. That way you'd have an easy way to get the top on/off and the truck would have a place out of the weather (keep it rust free).
Im going to look into that, but I am pretty sure my HOA is not a big fan of additional external structures...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts