Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some things you can do for free or cheap (like 20 bucks) to your bronco? Just things to do when I'm bored...

(don't say clean/wax I'm already doing that :tinfoil)

·
I play with my
384 Posts
DOn't clean/wax it to often you will dull the paint. As for cheap upgrades not sure of to many but save up your cash and do the Sixliter upgrade in total you will spend probally around 120-140

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
I'd say a good basic tune up will net you the most bang for your buck.

You could also go on a diet. Reducing the weight inside the vehicle will improve performance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I've never waxed it before, and the paint is faded to all hell already so it's improving the look a lot. and that's the thing everything on here costs 100+ bucks :tinfoil

hopefully when I get a job I can finally start doing this upgrades

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Best cheap thing I can think of, Is go thru the whole truck system by system and evaluate exactly what you have. Does it work? Is there a trim piece missing? Floor Grommet gone? Something rattling around in the door? Weatherstrip rotting?
Leaks? Hows your coolant? Have you done a radiator flush? Check your hoses. How is your belt? Belt Tensioner? Pulleys? PS Pump? Alternator? Smog Pump? How are your suspension bushings? Do all the interior lights work? Exterior? Wet sand and polish headlight lenses.
Look for rust. You can wire brush and touch up any underbody rust. Pull the seats and the carpet, and check for rust, missing grommets. Check all your emission vacuum lines. Check your battery and cables, electrical system, fuses. Pull Codes, KOEO, KOER. Wash the windows GOOD, inside and out. Clean the interior.
Tighten any loose bolts/screws. Check your brakes (Jack it up and pull the wheels). When were your bearings last greased and packed? Inspect U joints, drive shaft, axle shafts.

There are alot of things like this you can do to ensure that your rig is running at optimum performance. If you dont look for things, you will end up on the side of the road thinking, damn I should have checked that.
Make a good list of maintenance items, repair items, replace items, missing items.

These trucks are OLD. Have had many owners typically, so there will be things missing. Search the internet for a list of local junk yards that you can walk around in. Go out there and see what they have. F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco's all have many parts in common.
Many parts in the JY are fine and are certainly cheap, some are even free. Once you have your list, surf the junk yards and find the little things that are missing. Make sure you bring your list, I get sidetracked easily and find things im not even looking for and forget things I am looking for. Sometimes you will find something in better shape than whats on your truck and you can swap it out. If you find a yard that has tons of mid 90s Ford Vans, you could strip the PS pump Bracket and sell them to people wanting to do a Saginaw Swap.

Just some Ideas of things I do, when I dont have anything else to do or have little or no money but want to do something.

Having no job sucks, Ive been unemployed for 14 months now, but thankfully I finally have a job interview in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If its like my 88 was, polish those yellowed, faded junk plastic headlight lenses, with some rubbing compound. Go buy some extra inside door latch handles, cause they break pretty easily.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
I would say do a SEARCH here on FSB for this same info that has been posted 100's of times now:goodfinge well at least you didn't post it in tech;)

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Best cheap thing I can think of, Is go thru the whole truck system by system and evaluate exactly what you have. Does it work? Is there a trim piece missing? Floor Grommet gone? Something rattling around in the door? Weatherstrip rotting?
Leaks? Hows your coolant? Have you done a radiator flush? Check your hoses. How is your belt? Belt Tensioner? Pulleys? PS Pump? Alternator? Smog Pump? How are your suspension bushings? Do all the interior lights work? Exterior? Wet sand and polish headlight lenses.
Look for rust. You can wire brush and touch up any underbody rust. Pull the seats and the carpet, and check for rust, missing grommets. Check all your emission vacuum lines. Check your battery and cables, electrical system, fuses. Pull Codes, KOEO, KOER. Wash the windows GOOD, inside and out. Clean the interior.
Tighten any loose bolts/screws. Check your brakes (Jack it up and pull the wheels). When were your bearings last greased and packed? Inspect U joints, drive shaft, axle shafts.

There are alot of things like this you can do to ensure that your rig is running at optimum performance. If you dont look for things, you will end up on the side of the road thinking, damn I should have checked that.
Make a good list of maintenance items, repair items, replace items, missing items.

These trucks are OLD. Have had many owners typically, so there will be things missing. Search the internet for a list of local junk yards that you can walk around in. Go out there and see what they have. F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco's all have many parts in common.
Many parts in the JY are fine and are certainly cheap, some are even free. Once you have your list, surf the junk yards and find the little things that are missing. Make sure you bring your list, I get sidetracked easily and find things im not even looking for and forget things I am looking for. Sometimes you will find something in better shape than whats on your truck and you can swap it out. If you find a yard that has tons of mid 90s Ford Vans, you could strip the PS pump Bracket and sell them to people wanting to do a Saginaw Swap.

Just some Ideas of things I do, when I dont have anything else to do or have little or no money but want to do something.

Having no job sucks, Ive been unemployed for 14 months now, but thankfully I finally have a job interview in a couple of weeks.

When you get bored start doing ^^^^this^^^^ You defiantly want to pull back the carpet and see whats under you. You can get can spray for undercoat. Wire brush the underbody and then undercoat it. Grease lightening the motor top to bottom. Buy new speed screws for your top cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Larry :doh0715: The little minisearch when you type in the thread title didn't have anything related to the subject so I assumed (yes, I know what assuming does :goodfinge) it hadn't been posted yet :tinfoil

And Salt, my carpet worries are gone :thumbup 2 days after I got it I pulled it up. No rust in the bed/floorboards:rockon

As for the whole inspection, thanks a TOOONNNN for all that info, and 7L, I have some rubbing compound I'm going to go clean them lenses up right now, was thinking about how cloudy mine were yesterday actually

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I usually wash off the engine and the undercarage.($5 in quarters)
Clean all the door jambs.
I like to pull all of the shat off of the inner fenderwells and inner fenders and give them a good scrub down. Mud and road dirt get that area really dirty. I only do this every 6 months or so.
Run some seafoam thru the intake($8)
Check or replace gear oil in axles($13-$18) You have prolly never even considered that! Check or replace the breather lines while your there. On both my last broncos i bought mini airfilters and mounted the front filter under the hood and the rear one in the pocket.
*All time fav*
pre soak all the bolts you will be removing with WD-40 for your next project!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
This is the first thing I do whenever I get a truck.

Do you have a couple zip ties? The throttle cable gains alot of slack over time, and seriously cuts down on throttle response. Here is what you do:

1. Lift up on the bottom of your gas pedal.
2. Notice the slack between the pedal and the stop on the cable?
3. Put a couple zip ties between the pedal and stop to take up the slack.

You should be able to lift up on the bottom of the pedal and have little to no movement.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
You could do a saginaw swap with junkyard parts for less than $30.

A junkyard 130A 3G alt could be found for $10-15 bucks..freshen it up with some new bearings for another $10-15.

Trans cooler can be had from the yard for less than $20 and another $10-20 will get you oil grade rubber hose and proper fittings.

$5-10 for a junkyard upgraded dome light.

$10-20 for a junkyard autodimming rear view mirror.

Obviously, you need to get intimate with the board's search feature.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:tinfoil I'll make plans to take her out this weekend, justin.

Once I get my DL me and the junkyard(s) are going to be well acquainted. My parents suck with wanting to do anything with me so I'm basically alone on this. and Malo, I changed the rear diff oil but I can't remember how to change the front, so I'll look that up. Unfortunately, going to some lame 4 star Marriot 1800s hotel thing this weekend so my mom can go to a ton of meetings

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Remove your sway bar and put some tow hooks there instead.
Thats a hell of an idea!

:tinfoil I'll make plans to take her out this weekend, justin.

Once I get my DL me and the junkyard(s) are going to be well acquainted. My parents suck with wanting to do anything with me so I'm basically alone on this. and Malo, I changed the rear diff oil but I can't remember how to change the front, so I'll look that up. Unfortunately, going to some lame 4 star Marriot 1800s hotel thing this weekend so my mom can go to a ton of meetings
I bought a cheap hand pump that would allow me to pump alot of the fluid out manually, then i would just refill thru the drain plug. If you search on here abit there are several guys who have installed drain plugs on the TTB. I allways wanted to do it since i used to love getting my bronco in the water, but never was ambitous enough. Good and cheap upgrade that might save your TTB if you ever get stuck in deep water for a long time..(i.e. if you get stuck and dont have tow hooks or a good tow point)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts