Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Brass. brass wont corode like steel does.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with blue, go with brass as the steel ones will rust out with time whereas the brass will last much longer.
Shane

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
A person could argue that a cast iron block should have rusted years ago, because iron rusts and corrodes alot faster than steel

I haven't been able to find any real answers about that either, but this is what I think: brass will expand, when heated, alot more than steel will, making sure there's no chance of a leak

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
Brass

·
Registered
211 Posts
True cast iron does rust, but it also creates it's own barrier against further rusting in the process. I work in power plants and that is the theory they use to prolong the life of all of our piping. As long as the pipes get a good coat of rust inside of them then they are protected. Can't say as I really uinderstand that idea but it does seem to work. Also I know due to the thickness of the blocks vs the plugs the plugs will rust through in timewhereas the blocks do not while the brass cannot do this.
Shane

·
Super Moderator
26,374 Posts
I went w/Brass on the 78; as per milodon. Cost a little more than steel, but the rust factor was the rust/and resultant leak factor was the main concern.
Kit was only $12.00 so the price wasn't concern in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts