Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if any of you have ever used the rubber and metal type of freeze plug. They type with the nut on the outside that you tighten down. If so have you had any problems? How long could I expect them to last? Thanks.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I have but not on a Bronco but other Ford engines and they work but you have to keep an eye on them and make sure you clean the opening absolutely clean. Mine lasted until I got rid of the cars...don't remeber how long.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
There are plenty of threads that I've read here regarding this where many have stated the rubber expandable freeze plugs can last for years. I had a bad freeze plug on the back of the drivers side cylinder head right where the PITA air injection exhaust cross over tube is bolted and bought a rubber expandable plug from Napa which I still have brand new...lol lol..., they come in all different sizes not expensive, maybe $6-8.00 range..?

I decided to try/use the metal OEM plug which I managed to tap in but the trick for either style plug is to clean the FP hole in the block and smear some Loc-Tite in there and the plug will stay in place nicely.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts