Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bronco has had a coolant leak for a while (at least the last month) and finally my shop determined today that it was a freeze plug. They said it had a pin hole in it and replaced it today.

My question is what exactly is a freeze plug and what does it do? How would leaking coolant slowly from the freeze plug affect the functioning of the Bronco?

Thank you very much in advance. I did a search here and Googled it as well.

WJR

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
well coolant leaking from anywhere would affect the functioning of the bronco.. you'd eventually get low on coolant and overheat

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I kept filling it back up each day. It was not leaking that much, not as much as when my water pump and timing cover needed to be replaced.

I just kept losing some coolant and filling it back up every day or so.

WJR

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Here you can kind of see a freze plug. Only about 1/3 of it is visable behind the cable going to the starter. Its a 1.5" diamater plug thats pressed in place on the side of the block or on the front and back of each head. The holes are there because in the casting prosess of making the engine block there has to be something holding the casting for the water jacket. Then the holes get pluged up. Its called a freeze plug because if the coolant in the engine freezes it usually pops them out. But on some of the later blocks it has just a good of a chance as cracking the block instead.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
After reading your first two posts, I think you need to give your head a shake and think about what you are asking because the first thing that comes to mind with either of the posts is...DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
I hope this helps. :toothless

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the responses.

I, especially, want to thank Waltman for his brilliant response.

WJR

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
WJR said:
Thank you for all of the responses.

I, especially, want to thank Waltman for his brilliant response.

WJR
Any time, I'm here to help...any way I can. :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts