Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ET18NK Whirlpool fridge.

It is of unknown age...it came with the house I bought in April. The fan sounds like it is blowing..but its not cool. It must have happened yesterday, only noticed it tonight....everything is warm inside.

Any ideas? Is the compressor shot? It worked fine for a few months at least...didn't seem to have a problem.

Is it going to be just as cheap to get a new fridge as it is to get a new one?

·
Banned
906 Posts
Maybe the compressor. Just like with yer AC in yer truck. To blow out cool air, your compressor must work.

Eh, see how much a compressor is unless you think it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sometimes the *if it is a car it would be called a condenser* CONDENSER gets clogged with dust, pet hair, lint, and so on and just needs cleaned out. It is usually under the fridge and can be easily done with a vacuum. I would give it a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
more than likely its the compressor switch thats mounted on the side of the compressor. just buy a new fridge from a scratch and dent sale. its going to be way cheaper than any repair youre going to make on it. if you can troubleshoot the part let me know and ill check my supply house if you want to repair it. unplug it, and disconnect the wires going to the three terminals on the compressor and ohm them out with a ohm meter between the three. if any reading is greater than a couple of ohms, its got an open winding. check it to ground also, if any of the windings are shorted to ground, the compressor is shot. usually you can hear the compressor come on. pull it away from the wall and listen to the compressor, if its humming for a second then going off, its either an open winding or locked up. if the compressor is running but still no cold air, def try what the man said, in the front on the bottom, take the grate off and vacuum out down there and also check how close the coil in the rear (if its located there) is to the wall, too close and the heat transfer wont take place.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I know thats an older model, but I don't know if its old enoufgh to have the Matshushitsa or however in the hell its spelled compressor in it. If it does, its likley a bad compressor. If its got the Embraco compressor those just about don't fail but the start relay is very common to go out on them.

couple of things here... if its totally warm, as in room temp in the freezer, we can eleminate the dirty condensor as a problem as that will not cause the unit to stop all cooling. The freezer may only get down to 30* or so at best, but it won't cause it to be warm. We can also eleminate the thermostat and a stalled defrost timer as a problem since the fan inside the freezer is running. If that fan is running, the compressor should be running too since its wired together on the same circuit. And since your freezer is warm I know the compressor is not running, or you developed a major leak in the system (major as in a wide open break in a line or a chaffed line somewhere).
If the unit has an Embraco compressor in it, its likley a broken disc in the PTC relay. Pull the relay off the side of the compressor and see if it rattles. If so its bad. 98% of the time when they fail they will rattle, and in some cases even melt the plastic housing, but in a rare case they can look OK but not work.

Find out exactally when compressor it has, and if you can get a picture that would be great, and I'll step you through the diagnosis.

And don't throw it away just because its got a bad relay on it. You can get them for $20 or even cheaper. In fact just about anything on that unit is an easy and inexpensive fix (if you're doing it yourself) other then a failed compressor or a refrigerant leak.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know thats an older model, but I don't know if its old enoufgh to have the Matshushitsa or however in the hell its spelled compressor in it. If it does, its likley a bad compressor. If its got the Embraco compressor those just about don't fail but the start relay is very common to go out on them.

couple of things here... if its totally warm, as in room temp in the freezer, we can eleminate the dirty condensor as a problem as that will not cause the unit to stop all cooling. The freezer may only get down to 30* or so at best, but it won't cause it to be warm. We can also eleminate the thermostat and a stalled defrost timer as a problem since the fan inside the freezer is running. If that fan is running, the compressor should be running too since its wired together on the same circuit. And since your freezer is warm I know the compressor is not running, or you developed a major leak in the system (major as in a wide open break in a line or a chaffed line somewhere).
If the unit has an Embraco compressor in it, its likley a broken disc in the PTC relay. Pull the relay off the side of the compressor and see if it rattles. If so its bad. 98% of the time when they fail they will rattle, and in some cases even melt the plastic housing, but in a rare case they can look OK but not work.

Find out exactally when compressor it has, and if you can get a picture that would be great, and I'll step you through the diagnosis.

And don't throw it away just because its got a bad relay on it. You can get them for $20 or even cheaper. In fact just about anything on that unit is an easy and inexpensive fix (if you're doing it yourself) other then a failed compressor or a refrigerant leak.
I needed a fridge ASAP and didn't need anything too fancy so went and bouht a Hotpoint made by GE for ~400 after discount from HomeDepot. I got the fridge still. The one in my basement appt is old as crap and the one from upstairs is much nicer, so figured if I can get this upstairs one fixed I can then put it in the basement.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check into that. :thumbup

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Been out of town/crappy weather recently. Just got a look at it.

Its a Matshushitsa or w/e.

here's a pic:

So..probably bad compressor then with this model and probably not worth fixing or?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Most likely is a bad compressor. If so, not even worth fixing. I charge about $575 to do a compressor on one of those so its roughly what it would cost to replace the refrigerator. For about $175 or so you could get the compressor yourself and fix it if you have the equipment to swap it out. (accetelyne torch, silver solder, refrigerant and charging hose and a way to put the exact charge in like a scale or a charging cylinder. preferable a vacuum pump too but it can be done without a vacuum pump by using the new compressor to vacuum the system with the sweep charge method.)

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most likely is a bad compressor. If so, not even worth fixing. I charge about $575 to do a compressor on one of those so its roughly what it would cost to replace the refrigerator. For about $175 or so you could get the compressor yourself and fix it if you have the equipment to swap it out. (accetelyne torch, silver solder, refrigerant and charging hose and a way to put the exact charge in like a scale or a charging cylinder. preferable a vacuum pump too but it can be done without a vacuum pump by using the new compressor to vacuum the system with the sweep charge method.)
I'll get rid of it then :thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts