Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I switched my auto hubs to manual. For some reason the drivers side part of the axle will spin when I spin the front drive shaft. For some reason I think the drive shaft is spinning all the time even out of 4WD. I definitely feel a loss of power but not gas mileage. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Also happy new year

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I feel like I can't accelerate as well as I did. I didn't think of using a Zip tie I'll have to try that. I did just switch my auto hubs to manual and I didn't realize I need to torque down the rings. I'll have to check them when I get back home and have all my tools.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
That's your imagination.What "rings"? The spindle nuts?Maybe you need to stop worrying about the locks since they appear to be working right. But if you didn't torque the 2nd spindle nuts, that's critical.

Steve, imagination? :twak

If the front driveshaft is spinning (or he thinks it is), that should be a simple check under the vehicle. If manual hubs are engaged, go under and grab the driveshaft and try turning it (motor off, just sitting there). It should turn a small amount and stop, this is the limited play in the driveshaft to front diff, to front shafts and eventually hubs. Does not matter if Tcase is engaged. If the hubs are free, and no tcase engaged you can just grab the driveshaft and spin it, it's free.

If it won't freely spin, we now would know that the front driveline is engaged and waiting on the shift to 4WD to fully engage power. But regardless of whether power is being delivered by the Tcase, the front components are rotating, creating drag. You can see this in slightly lesser mileage, you should hear/feel it at around 50 mph + ( I do between 50-60, try not to go faster than this with hubs engaged). I can hear a very minor hum, and feel just an added roughness, easy for me to detect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes gentlemen I need to torque the spindle nuts. I read the first one gets 50 lb then turn back 90° the put the washer with the holes on then the second nut and torque it to 135 lbs. Is that correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts