Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the U-joints in my D44 IFS driveline. I installed the right inner axle, and secured it with the C-Clip in the differential. I then tried to slip the outer axle into the sleeve that holds the two together (I have no idea what it is called), but could not get it in all of the way.

I believe the splines are aligned. I tried several times but still no luck. I can't get it to go in the last half inch. I tried to clean the sleeve and the threads but had no luck. I did not want to beat on it to hard because I was afraid I would damage the c-clip in the D44.

Any ideas? Like I said, it only needs to go in about another half inch.

Sorry, if I confused you with my description.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
that boot can be very tight sometimes, put a little wheel bearing grease on the splines of the outer shaft and pound it in lightly. you won't hurt the cross shaft in the carrier unless you are hammering on the end of the shaft with a 10lb beater. sometime you can slide the boot far onto the inner shaft and then mate the splines and then slide the boot back over the two shafts.

edit: you should have just installed the "spring trick" between the inner and outer shaft to eliminate the c clip. just a thought. this would save you from having to remove the third member if the shaft or u-joint ever fails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still having trouble getting the right axle into the slip yoke. I moved the rubber boot out of the way, aligned the splines, pushed it in most of the way, beat it with a block of wood, and still no luck. I must have to much greese up in that sleeve or somthing. It needs to go in about another inch in order for the spindle to seat to the knuckle.

Anyone have this problem before:shrug

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I am still having trouble getting the right axle into the slip yoke. I moved the rubber boot out of the way, aligned the splines, pushed it in most of the way, beat it with a block of wood, and still no luck. I must have to much greese up in that sleeve or somthing. It needs to go in about another inch in order for the spindle to seat to the knuckle.

Anyone have this problem before:shrug
How much grease did you use in there? I'll bet you've got air trapped in there if you used too much. and if you beat the end with a hammer you may pop out the little end cap. It only needs a light coat of grease on the splines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts