Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front inner axle joint on the p/s is shot... already did both the outer joints. Has anyone successfully tried to do the inner joint without dropping the third member down and pulling the stub shaft out? I know it would make getting the joint out a lot easier, but I'd rather not have to tear everything down and drop the pumpkin if I can get around it. It looks like there might be room to sneak the ball joint press around the axle beam (maybe even take the one out of the pivot for more clearance), but a buddy has mine right now so i can't check for sure. The c-clips will be a pain to get out too, but might be manageable. If anyone has tried it let me know so I know which route to go

·
Registered
805 Posts
Couldn't you pull the third member once, and do the c-clip eliminator mod up front, so you can completely pull your shafts without pullin' the third member? Then from now on not have to worry about it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could, and plan on doing that soon... but for right now I just want to take care of the joint if I can do it by itself. If I pull the third member down then its getting all new seals and bearings, which I really don't want to spend the money for just yet. I know the outer joints seemed to be originals (the truck is an 84) and they were in there pretty good. Literally couldn't get them out without the ball joint press and a BFH at the same time. If no one confirms whether or not this is doable, I'll give it a try sometime this week and let everyone know. Worst thing that'll happen is I will end up having to pull the pig out... Good thing I've had everything else apart so many times on that front end that it only takes about 15-20 minutes a side to get the axle shaft out haha.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
A ball joint press is a must. The most difficult part is getting the new caps in without getting the needles screwed up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A ball joint press is a must. The most difficult part is getting the new caps in without getting the needles screwed up.
So are you implying you've done the inner joint without removing the third member? Or are you just speaking in general?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Couldn't you pull the third member once, and do the c-clip eliminator mod up front, so you can completely pull your shafts without pullin' the third member? Then from now on not have to worry about it?
did a search but couldn't find anything much .i know what a c-clip eliminator kit is like for the rear diff,but what does it include for the front.any pics or links to articles/pics appreciated.
thanks in advance,
andy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry, you gotta pull the 3rd to get the stub out. It's really easy though. once the outers are off it's just a matter of unbolting the drive shaft and bolts holding the 3rd in. It's easy enough that I would just pull it now to fix the U joint then pull it later to rebuild it.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
There is only a c-clip on the one side. The one with the inner u-joint. I have never heard of a eliminator for it.
It's not a "eliminator kit". It's simply a spring inserted inside the female end of the slip joint (with the plug spot welded in place) to exert longitudinal pressure on the axle shafts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts