Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1980; 347 stroker; Holley Sniper EFI
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I managed to get it out yesterday with a prry bar,today I cant get it to go back in. I will clear the opening on the knuckle but where it goes inside the slip shaft assembly its very tight cause of the rubber seal. Any suggestions?

This is for a 1980. I cant seem to slide the axle out, is it attached somewhere else? I did manage to get the spindle off and the axle wiggles freely but feels like it doesn't fit out of the knuckle. Am I missing something? I am trying to do what this guy does at time stamp 3:23:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay nevermind, I got it out. I had to use a pry bar, but it did come out

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It can really get sucked in at the slip joint. I had to get rough with mine too.

·
Registered
955 Posts
A quick point on this video at the 3:23 mark. He said that piece is what's left of a vacuum plate which it's not so don't looking for that when you reinstall. That was remnants of the brake dust shield!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A quick point on this video at the 3:23 mark. He said that piece is what's left of a vacuum plate which it's not so don't looking for that when you reinstall. That was remnants of the brake dust shield!
I thought so! Wasn't sure what he was talking about because I didn't have thay and I did have a dust shield

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,331 Posts
Many times the issue is that the hole in the knuckle is just too small due to rust buildup on it and the shaft joint.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How the hell do you get the axle to slide back into at the yoke side? I cannot get this to go back in @packagerjr

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don’t recall having many issues, but I also had both ends out and had the female splines fully degreased. I don’t recall the splines being angularly sensitive but you want the u-joints in phase; hopefully that matches up with any marks you made on both ends prior to disassembly.

Remove the grease zerk, lube the rubber seal on the female splines well, lube the male splines a bit, and give it another go. Wish I had some better advice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t recall having many issues, but I also had both ends out and had the female splines fully degreased. I don’t recall the splines being angularly sensitive but you want the u-joints in phase; hopefully that matches up with any marks you made on both ends prior to disassembly.

Remove the grease zerk, lube the rubber seal on the female splines well, lube the male splines a bit, and give it another go. Wish I had some better advice.
Errrr i didn't make any marks. And didn't realize the u joints should be in phase. I had to hammer it real hard to even get it in, I hope I didn't damage something

Reactions: packagerjr
1 - 9 of 9 Posts