Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in the process of replacing all the bearings, seals, u-joints and ball joints in my front end. I am reading up on how to remove the passenger side inner axle. It appears there is a "C" clip on the inside of the differential. Has anyone done this? How hard is it to do? I tried searching for a previous thread with a detailed/any instruction and I have had no luck. Can I just pop off the differential cover and get to the "C" clip? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There is no differential cover. The axle beam itself basically is the cover. You need to unbolt the whole differential from the beam to get access to the inside of it. Once you remove the differential, you just yank the clip off with some needle nose pliers and the axle shaft will slide right out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much of a pain is it to drop the differential? Unfortunately, I don't want to leave this u-joint alone and feel it needs to be replaced, I already have one that was frozen and they appear to be very old. I just don't want to tear all of this down next month because that u-joint failed. I'm assuming I will need to remove the driverside axle before dropping it.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
You have to remove both axle shafts from the front end. And to do that you have to remove the hub/spindle and all, which if you're at that point already, all you need to do is remove the front drive shaft and all the bolts holding the pumpkin to the front I-Beam. And pull it out.

I've heard installing can be a bit of a pain if the fit of the pumpkin going into the beam is tight - you'll have to fight it back in possibly, but it will go back in.

May look into the spring trick to keep the passenger side stub shaft in without having to re-install the c-clip.

KC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to remove both axle shafts from the front end. And to do that you have to remove the hub/spindle and all, which if you're at that point already, all you need to do is remove the front drive shaft and all the bolts holding the pumpkin to the front I-Beam. And pull it out.

I've heard installing can be a bit of a pain if the fit of the pumpkin going into the beam is tight - you'll have to fight it back in possibly, but it will go back in.

May look into the spring trick to keep the passenger side stub shaft in without having to re-install the c-clip.

KC
Spring trick?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Spring trick?
Once you remove the pumpkin, you install the pumpkin without the inner shaft/c-clip. The spring is used inside of the collar where the inner stub slides into the outer shaft and keeps enough pressure on the inner shaft to keep it from coming out of the pumpkin - thereby eliminating the need to remove the pumpkin if you ever break the inner ujoint.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169670&postcount=2
Thread:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13107

KC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, if there is any advice anyone elese can offer I'm open to it. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just got my drivers side taken apart and the front diff cracked and drained. I'm just waiting for one of my buddies to come by and have him give me a hand. I have the top 2 bolts holding it in place and I don't want to let it just drop to the ground. As long as everything goes well I should have the front diff back in tonight. Then I'm just waiting on the ball joints to come in. I still need to get the knuckles off but I'm about to head to auto zone and rent some pickle forks.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
can u change u joints in place
I did some on a bronco II using the c clamp u joint press,it was a pain but easier than puling diff apart

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropping the diff wasn't too bad. I just left the axle stub in the diff and used the C clamp to press the U- joint out and back in. Alittle RTV and some heavy lifting and it was back in place. Just waiting on my damn ball joints to come in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts