Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm reassembling my front axle and wanted to change the gear oil, 79 bronco dana 44 axle. I have a front lock rite locker and 4:11's, what do you suggest I use?

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
I would use an 80w90 conventional gear oil of your choice. I'm assuming that was what was used when these were new or something close to it.

I know Eaton does not recommend synthetic gear oils with their Truetrac and Detroit lockers, so I'd imagine if conventional is good enough for them then it's probably good enough for your lock rite.

Link for reference to my Eaton claim for the skeptics. lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would use Valvoline SynPower 75W-140. Interesting the Eaton doesn't "recommend" synthetics for a Detroit locker, honestly I'm way more concerned about lubrication for the gears and bearings than the locker! I'm pretty sure the locker would function with water or mud as a "lubricant".

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
Sometimes the synthetic can mess with the lockers ability to lock, or the lock up ratio. From my understanding of it.
I personally run amsoil 75-140 in most of my things.

Though I feel that any decent gear oil and you will be fine. More important to service it regularly then what oil you use, unless you are really pushing everything to its limits.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
That's essentially what I was told at my local 4x4 shop when I asked about gear oil for my new gears/lockers. The guy said as long as I was changing it that it was less of a concern as long as the oil was of good quality. Gear oil is probably the least changed oil in any DD vehicle.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
I run a quart of redline heavy shockproof mixed with lucas HD synthetic 75w90 in all my differentials. Even the detroit AND trutrac. Though they are pre-Eaton units. The heavy shockproof really cushions the gear mesh nicely and has excellent cling properties.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I run a quart of redline heavy shockproof mixed with lucas HD synthetic 75w90 in all my differentials. Even the detroit AND trutrac. Though they are pre-Eaton units. The heavy shockproof really cushions the gear mesh nicely and has excellent cling properties.
I might try the redline shockproof in the np435.
Thoughts?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,339 Posts
Absolutely! I will be doing so when I change the oil in my NP435. I think next axle oil change in the bronco will go full strength heavy shockproof. 37s and lockers are rough on half ton axles.

Make sure to run a gear lube in all cast iron cased gear box assemblies. Synthetic vs dino juice doesnt really matter except with friction clutch based limited slips. And anything you put in the trans must be "yellow metal safe" so it doesnt damage the synchros. Aluminum and magnesium cases get ATF.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,295 Posts
I wouldn’t run heavy shockproof in an np435, I don’t think the synchros would like it. I would just use redline MTL in the trans

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
That or the MT90. They both say they are safe with brass parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts