Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Bronco nuts,
I just got me a 89' Bronco XLT with a 4.9 liter in it, runs great and basically all stock. I plan to customize it to my liking but I'm not going to dump an insane amount of money in it either! At least not yet.
I'm an old school 4X4er. I've owned in the past a custom 53' Willies with a 357 Chevy engine, and a mail jeep before that in high school that I completely rebuilt to an awesome 4X4er.
The Bronco does have some bugs though; one thing is that it’s running to rich to pass IM. I think this is due to the outside fuel pump that’s been installed by the previous owner. The previous owner told me that they added it instead of replacing the one in the tank. I’m going to check the relay and the reset switch that I read about in this forum and run 12 volts directly to the pump to see if it is the pump in the tank is bad or if it’s something else. I got the pump thing covered but I’m still not convinced though that this is why it’s running so rich since there’s a pressure controller up at the Fuel injection.
It’s at 4 times the legal limit at idle and 2 times to rich at fast idle, and still runs great.
• By the way I like the MPG I get regardless. I’m used to allot larger engines and this one seems sufficient. (along as I don’t go with to big of tires I’m sure)
OK, friends of mine have warned me that the front ends on the Bronco’s are not the best, but I always wanted one. To me they’re one of the coolest vehicles on the road.
Now for the thing that’s really throwing me, I have the strangest feeling and noise when making sharp turns. It feels like I have loose tires in the front end! And there’s a slight grinding sound. What is this? I jacked the front end up, all seems to be tight, and bushings look good.
I realize that ball joints are subject to compression and that I wouldn’t be able to apply that kind of pressure by pulling and tugging to see if there’s something loose. But like I said everything looks good.
I’m sure many of you have run into this before so any advice would really help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a grinding noise up front and found out my drivers side hub wasn't unlocking.... so I was driving about 500 miles with one wheel locked ( :banghead ) I jacked it up and played with it a bit and it took switching it back and forth from locked to unlocked several times before it fully unlocked. This gave me a good excuse to pull out the tools and install warn hubs :)

Btw, Welcome aboard!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
As far as the fuel goes I think it's either the fuel pressure regulator or the O2 sensor. The noise could be any number of things and I could throw out a whole list of possibilities but I'm sure you already thought of the same things and are looking for specifics from someone who's had the same problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts