Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put all new front brake lines on Fordarmyman's '92 Bronc and now I'm stuck on gettin the bleeders to come loose. Passenger side was corroded to nothin' and drivers side ain't budgin.

If I "force" them off do they unscrew all the way to just replace with new ones? Never had to go that far before.

Adrianspeeder

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Yup. Just replace with new ones and you should be good to go.

Sometimes a bit of sweet lady propane helps. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Clean all the crud off the bleeders first then soak them down with either WD-40, Liquid Wrench or your favorite penitrating fluid, let them soak for a day or two and try again.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
Yup. Just replace with new ones and you should be good to go.

Sometimes a bit of sweet lady propane helps. :thumbup
Same here...tore mine all to hell getting them off-even with PB Blaster... I just replaced with new and off I went (after bleeding of course) :toothless

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
They're 6 point, and yes, they unscrew all the way out for replacement. Heat will help, but if it gets to the point that you have to drill them out, just replace the calipers.

Replace the bleeders with speedbleeders as long as you're replacing them.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Hate bleeders...the hot wrench usually helps in getting them off! Just take it easy is all, and watch where your putting that fire stream!

Good luck anyways! :beer

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same issue with my front rusty bleeder screws, afraid I was going to snap them like the rear so I took the calipers off and put it on my bench. Found a socket that was a little smaller and after hitting it again with PB Blaster I hammered the socket on and was finally able to get them off..believe me snapping them off is no fun at all..

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If they don't come off with a 6pt socket/heat/penetrating fluid, I'd suggest getting rebuilt calipers. They're cheap enough.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, lets just be glad that he never got a front flat tire. Took an hour in his heated garage with half inch drive impact sockets, breaker bar/cheater pipe, chisel, and sledge to get some of the friggin horrible lug nuts off. Another half hour of fighting to get the passenger side caliper (frozen on) off, all for just having the bleeder shear right off. Damn.

Had to be the coldest day so far this season, and me being outside with C17 startups all day didn't help either.

New caliper time next week.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
15-25 bucks could be worth someone's time if they are on an a tight budget.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
you have to subtract the cost of the bleeders and the extra trips to the parts store in that... and if your bleeders are seizing it's probably time for a cliper rebuild anyway... why polish a turd and end up costing more in the end anyway??

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yeah thats very true. idk just felt like saying something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts