Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked everywhere for a little help with this issue. I cannot for the life of me get that back nut to break loose and release the brake hose on the front passenger side of my Bronco.

I have removed the clip.

I have used heat.
I have used freeze-off.
I have used flare wrenches.
I am losing my mind.

So trying to use a wrench and a pair of pliers I tried to twist the hose end off.

No dice.

Fitting the hose back into the shock bracket and getting behind there with wrenches and pliers have stripped the damn nut pretty bad.

I have been told to try a small pipe wrench, which I think is my only move left before I have to eat $hit and buy new metal lines as well.

I am replacing my old stockers with braided steel lines, new calipers, and new pads.

anything helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Man I went through the same thing last week trying to install some extended stainless steel lines.. Driver's side went like a breeze.. Passenger side would NOT go. In the end, constant, MILD heat and some vise grips broke it loose.. Worst case you could get a new brake line all the way to the master cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
heat them red hot them spray them with water until you can touch them. Do that about 5-10 times. Then heat them red hot and hit them with pb blaster and try to get them off.Heating and cooling is pretty much the only way. I would say cut the hard line and get a socket on the nut but sounds like your past that.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
You're already going to bleed the line, replace all with new. Cut the line, do you best to pop the clip loose that holds it in place and replace with new.

I had the same thing happen last year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well its about 4-5 feet from that part of the truck :histerica.

Sounds like you need to make new front lines either way. cut it off replace the hardlines to your new ss lines.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
What's this "clip" people keep mentioning? Is this the line that bolts to the brake caliper? I have an '88 and there's no "clip" back there. Just a bolt, going through the hose block into the caliper, with copper washers on either side for sealing. The torque spec on that thing in only, like, ~15-20 lb.ft.

Or, am I not on the same page as everyone else? :shrug

Eric

·
Registered
69 Posts
What's this "clip" people keep mentioning? Is this the line that bolts to the brake caliper? I have an '88 and there's no "clip" back there. Just a bolt, going through the hose block into the caliper, with copper washers on either side for sealing. The torque spec on that thing in only, like, ~15-20 lb.ft.

Or, am I not on the same page as everyone else? :shrug

Eric
I don't think they're referring to the banjo bolt on the caliper. I think the clip holds the flex/solid line junction to the carbody.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
and its that rust stuff they have out east that makes em a beotch to get off

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think they're referring to the banjo bolt on the caliper. I think the clip holds the flex/solid line junction to the carbody.
The clip is on the rear (non-wheel) side of the shock mount , it is a motherf*cker to get undone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok --- sorry so late getting back on here. I am at work, and just caught some downtime. I really didn't want to have to replace the full lines, as I was trying to keep this job on the cheap... is it possible to get one part of the metal lines replaced, or do I have to get the whole kit? All I have seen online is the full kits... I don't have the skill/patience to bend new lines myself.
I figured this job would be a piece of cake, because according to the haynes manual, it's like an 8 step job including putting it back together.

I went out and bought a 10" pipe wrench, new slightly larger vice grips, and a file in case i have to file some bitable surface onto the locknut which I have carved into a brass ball...

I will put some more heat on it, i was hitting it with about 10-20 seconds of direct flame (propane) earlier, but ran out of time. I have all night to grind on this bad boy.

I just want it done!!!! It's holding up a lot of other projects going on with the Bronc at this time...

Thanks for all the replies, I will update as things move along. which they hopefully will do soon!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I went through the same thing last week trying to install some extended stainless steel lines.. Driver's side went like a breeze.. Passenger side would NOT go. In the end, constant, MILD heat and some vise grips broke it loose.. Worst case you could get a new brake line all the way to the master cylinder.
This is pretty much all I was trying to do. Got myself new calipers, pads, and SS lines. "gonna refresh the brakes" I thought.. turning into a brake shitstorm, all because of one damn locknut.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always had luck with soaking in Pb blaster, getting a good grip with locking pliers and then tapping with a hammer tighter then looser, repeat until it's free.
And I do mean tapping. You're not trying to make it loosen in just a few whaps, but trying to get the rust to slowly brake free.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By God, IT'S OFF!!!

Took a good set of vice grip pliers.
A bunch of heating/cooling phases

And my trusty harbor freight flare nut wrench.
The end of the metal line bent a little bit, but no kink, just a very slight rainbow shape at the moment.

Jesus, I hope the drivers side is a little easier, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was quite a relief to get it undone without snapping my metal lines.
I had already accepted the fact that I was going to end up having to buy some, or bend my own... I was dreading it.

Where in FL are you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts