Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this is a dumb question, but I just put on new front wheel bearings and new rotors, now Im putting the calibers and pads on and am stumped. This is an 89 Bronco .

The pads dont seem to clip to the calibers or piston in any way. Do they just FREE FLOAT????? Seems like they would drag and wear uneven. PLEASE HELP!

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Yes, they float. Some pads include a simple clip that goes into the piston, but that seems more like something that aids with installation than anything else.

When there is no pressure on the pads, they won't be causing drag, and won't wear. So if you have drag on your brake pads, it's going to be from piston pressure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is a floating system similar to the explorer and ranger and the same as the f150. The pads typically do not have clips save the one that goes on the bottom of the inner pad.

Typically there aren't any issues with these braking systems.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you have everything apart, take a look at the Spindle Bearing. I didn't know about it when I did my front/work, guess what, it came back to bite me in the butt. At least take it apart and lube it.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,078 Posts
Take a minute & go to the User CP & fill out your Bronco info. Year, engine, etc.
<-------- It'll show up over there on every post, & help us figure out what you're working on. Some stuff varies by year.

On my 90, there's a clip that goes on the bottom end of the inside pad, to keep it from rattling into the rotor at rest. Without it, it sounds like crickets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts