Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front brake pads (Solid 44) Added another question.

OK, I cant reuse teh rotors from my TTB because those cheap ass Bradshaw brake pads already put a big divit in my brand new rotors.

SO new rotors are going to be another expense on the swap.
I do not want cheap crappy pads this time around.

What brand do you all recommend for my D44?

Has anyone tried like Hawk, or Bear?
I cant even afford Brembo so dont even go there! :slap :thumbup

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Summit sells an Autospecialty Power Stop drilled and vented rotors for $80ea and pads for $30/set. Seemed like a decent price, to me

Tim, where'd you get your pads and rotors from? How much were they?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, i will try that route.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Hey Jer, you're not building a Porsche so don't get crazy dude. Seriously. Some mid to high end Raybestos from Checker should be all you ever need. Decent pads, decent price. And don't go for any bling rotors if you're gonna 'wheel it (which YOU ARE going to 'wheel it... you don't have a choice 'cause I'm not giving you a choice!)... the drilled or slotted rotors will only lighten your wallet and re-pay you by picking up rocks and mud for ya. Not a good deal LOL

Leave the super high performance to the super high perfomance sports cars... we all want good brakes but you quickly reach a point where price climbs steeply while performance advances very little.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
:stupid

thats all I have and they are fine, the stop, no squeaks or noise. I would have bought ford pads but even I cant afford those.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Raybestos Silvers is what I just installed on my new rotors.. working great so far... semi-metallics, lifetime warranty... $20 for the pads... the rotors are stock replacements from Autozone...

:shrug

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,139 Posts
For me personally, cheap and reliable is the way to go..I've already trashed one set of $$$ high dollar rotors and learned my lesson, as for the break pads, I got mine from Discount, they were a carbon fiber make that are guaranteed for life. I think I paid $25 buck, you can't beat that.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am only interested in good pads.
I wont ever need drilled or slotted rotors. I am just buying some good ol american made ones. JBG has some nice ones, but per Keiths advice I am going to try and find some good ones with a good warranty local first.

I just want some good quiet long lasting pads. The ones that were on my TTB squeel every time I apply the brakes. I started off with new rotors, new pads, new calipers, etc. and now it looks like sh!t and the rotors are trashed in less than a year.
I blame it all on the raybestos pads.
So if I can get a good pad like Hawk or Bear than has a tapered off end, and a cut in the middle i might try those. I have heard some good things about those. The cut in the middle makes the pads cool faster, run quieter, and they collect some of the brake dust. I like the fact that they are tapered off at the ends so that way when the brake pads start to minimse the ends wont creep over the rotor, or cause a surface divit in the rotor like my Raybestos did. I am not going to spend any more than like 40 or 50 bucks on brakes so that is what will stop me from going all out. I just need something that will work good.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Wait I thought you couldn't run the TTB calipers on a solid axle?

Oh I just bought a set of Rotors From Napa $60 each for the American made or $38 for the cheapo ones. I've always had the cheapo rotors warp on me, don't know why but every set I've owned have warped. The American made ones never have.

G

·
I have no issues with the raybestos or checker specials.

BUT, i have found the NAPA ceramix pads are by far the best pads i have ever had, EVAR. They are 70 bucks a set, and put off NO BRAKE DUST. At all.

No joke,

I have them on the excursion and have run up to flagstaff and back to phx at least 6 times and no brake dust at all. No squeaks. No dust.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats cool Taco man.

I did inquire on other sets of Raybestos pads and they have a brand called
Raybestos "SuperStop".
They are at Parts America (Checker, Schucks) in two different forms.
One is the normal pads for $39.99 (Part # SSD50) and the others are "Riveted" and cost $46.99 (Part # SSRD50).
Does anyone know what "Riveted" means?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,139 Posts
I believe riveted means how the pad itself is held to the backing, the metal part that fits in the caliper. I guess rivets means its held in with rivets instead of some sort of adhesive.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If that is right then i am totally clueless to what that means. I hate feeling stupid.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So is that a good thing? Can someone elaborate for me since I am brake dumb?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

G

·
I dont like riveted pads as much as the smooth ones. I have had bad luck with heat/cracking of the pads on the riveted ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts