Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my front brakes on my 88 and I have never seen so many options for rotors for any truck and I really don’t know what I need, my bronco is a 1988 with manual locking hubs, any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The biggest thing you'll need to find out is if you have the external locking hubs that were only used in '87 and part of '88 and the normal "internal" hubs that Ford (and everyone else) has used since the 70s. I think the brake components (rotors at least) are different between the two. Do your hubs fit into the hole in the end of the spindle? Then they are internal hubs. Does the locking hub just sort of slide off the spindle when the wheel is off? Then you have external hubs. Once you have that figured out, you can order the right parts.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
You will commonly find the 87 and early 88 lockouts referred to as Top Hat Hubs. They are much simpler to do the brakes on, as the wheel bearing races come pressed into the rotor already.

Ive been using Advance Auto's Wearever Silver brakes for years with good results on trucks and a mustang

You dont need drilled and slotted or any other fancy rotor or pads.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Super Moderator
29,116 Posts
Yo BroncoNamedReptar,
Motorcraft Rotors, Pads, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts