Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my Front Rotors, I am going to get some aftermarket ones ( Drilled & Sloted ) I wanted to get some recomendation, Price verses performance ? My Bronco is my daily driver & I have two small kids.
I cant afford to pay out the A*** but i dont want to skimp !:rockon

·
Registered
199 Posts
Alot of people will tell you to get Motorcraft heavy duty rotors or perhaps a Napa rotor, not bad advise. However, I too went the slotted route and ended up with Powerslot cryo rotors. When I owned a '98 BMW M3 I was looking for a performance rotor that would stand up to heavy braking in autocross racing. Anyway, I've now used them on 3 vehicles and they're one tough rotor that refuses to warp. They take a little extra time to order but I now use them exclusively. That would be my suggestion if you're looking at a performance slotted or drilled rotor.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
You have two kids in your bronco, so you want to buy a set of chinese drilled and slotted rotors?

You do know that aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors are made by taking a cheap budget rotor, drilling holes in it, then reselling it for 200+ dollars more. All you get is a rotor thats prone to crack and warp, and with a 5000lbs truck to stop, you better believe they will warp very fast.

Buy a set of motorcrafts, or NAPA, or raybestos professionals. If you really want more braking power, look into the F350 Brake Booster + master cylinder upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
You do know that aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors are made by taking a cheap budget rotor, drilling holes in it, then reselling it for 200+ dollars more. All you get is a rotor thats prone to crack and warp, and with a 5000lbs truck to stop, you better believe they will warp very fast.
:stupid

Drilling holes in your rotors are for looks and actually weaken the structure and promote warping.

Alot of people will tell you to get Motorcraft heavy duty rotors or perhaps a Napa rotor, not bad advise. However, I too went the slotted route and ended up with Powerslot cryo rotors. When I owned a '98 BMW M3 I was looking for a performance rotor that would stand up to heavy braking in autocross racing. Anyway, I've now used them on 3 vehicles and they're one tough rotor that refuses to warp. They take a little extra time to order but I now use them exclusively. That would be my suggestion if you're looking at a performance slotted or drilled rotor.

I am also using the slotted Power Slot Cryo Rotors on front and OEM smooth rotors on back.

Power Slot Cryo

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I couldn't find a "price list" on Power Slot Cryo for rotors, just the part number but I have Warn manual locking hubs, make any difference......?

Thanks ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you really want more braking power, look into the F350 Brake Booster + master cylinder upgrade.
I agree with that.

However, I think you'll find that most rotors (Motorcraft, Napa, Centric, Bendix, etc) all originate in China. The rotor blank that is. The drilling, slotting and other work is often done stateside. China quality isn't static, it varies like anything else.

If you think a rotor is produced here in the US from US steel, call the company up and ask a tech where the steel comes from and where the rotor is produced...good luck with that;) I like to buy US products as much (or more) than the next guy, but sometimes you buy the best value. Value is a bit subjective since you apply your own desires and expectations to a product when you consider price. If you don't have warping problems or generate lots of heat, perhaps a cryo rotor is overkill for you. However, I tend to overkill whatever I do:rockon

Powerslot rotors are a performance line of Centric, a US based company.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts

Drilling holes in your rotors are for looks and actually weaken the structure and promote warping.
Exactly. When these cheap rotors are drilled out, your changing the structure of the rotor thus weakening it...

Eventually, you end up with this

Drilled rotors were made to release gasses caused by asbestos pads. Asbestos pads haven't been made in like 40 years, so now they are really just for looks.

Now, some may be thinking, various car manuf's like Mercedes, BMW, and the like, sell cars with drilled rotors. Well, those rotors are cast with the holes in place, they don't pay a guy .50 cents an hour to poke holes in a budget rotor like all the "performance" rotors you see on ebay.

Here is a shot from fellow member impalaslayer, these are baer big brake kit rotors he had on his marauder

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
You have two kids in your bronco, so you want to buy a set of chinese drilled and slotted rotors?

Buy a set of motorcrafts, or NAPA, or raybestos professionals. If you really want more braking power, look into the F350 Brake Booster + master cylinder upgrade.
^^^this. all of it.

stay far and away from drilled/slotted rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Thought that was for additional surface area to promote cooling? :tinfoil

Exactly. When these cheap rotors are drilled out, your changing the structure of the rotor thus weakening it...

Eventually, you end up with this

Drilled rotors were made to release gasses caused by asbestos pads. Asbestos pads haven't been made in like 40 years, so now they are really just for looks.

Now, some may be thinking, various car manuf's like Mercedes, BMW, and the like, sell cars with drilled rotors. Well, those rotors are cast with the holes in place, they don't pay a guy .50 cents an hour to poke holes in a budget rotor like all the "performance" rotors you see on ebay.

Here is a shot from fellow member impalaslayer, these are baer big brake kit rotors he had on his marauder

·
Registered
199 Posts
stay far and away from drilled/slotted rotors.
You can lump drilled and slotted rotors into the same pool, but they're NOT the same product. Just like all basic rotors are not created equal...neither are cross-drilled or slotted. However, slotted rotors are the preferred rotor in racing applications, NOT cross-drilled. They are stronger and do not have holes that go completely through the rotor, which weaken it. I do notice slightly faster pad wear, but I chalk that up to the price I pay for better performance. Most guys that lump the cryo slotted rotor into the same group as cross-drilled rotors don't actually have any experience with them. Like I think I said earlier, I initially tried the slotted cryo rotor when racing autocross with my M3. It solved the problems I had with warping rotors and they lasted longer (the cryo process helps them resist heat and hardens the steal to resist wear). They were a recommendation by our racing enthusiast BMW master tech (at the time).

I too have seen a few pictures of cross-drilled rotors with cracks in them, but I've never seen a Powerslot cryo rotor like that. Do a little of your own research on the different products, that's half the fun of finding a part (in my opinion).

pricing & reviews:
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2723A0A0A1780129.aspx#community

For more information on brake rotors in general:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/brake-rotors2.htm

Here's an excerpt:
"Slotted brake rotors are popular with performance car drivers because the type of driving they do puts a lot of stress on the rotors. As we mentioned on the previous page, drilled rotors have been weakened, which makes them prone to cracking around the holes, particularly when they've been repeatedly driven hard. Because they tend to be a little more durable than the drilled brake rotors, slotted brake rotors may be a better brake part choice for some performance car drivers.

Of course, slotted brake rotors aren't perfect, either. They tend to wear down brake pads very quickly. Because of this, the most common type of performance brake rotors found on production performance cars are of the drilled variety. While that type of construction is seen as too weak for racing applications, most everyday drivers should have no trouble with drilled rotors on their street cars and can save the slotted rotors for cars that are racetrack-bound."

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
601 Posts
Stick with motorcraft rotors or the napa house brand. For pads, if you're paying less than $50 a side then you are not getting a good pad.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Stick with motorcraft rotors or the napa house brand. For pads, if you're paying less than $50 a side then you are not getting a good pad.
i don't know about you, but i will not pay $100 for 4 brake pads. that is ridiculous.

unless you mean $50 per set. then yes, i agree with you.

wagner thermoquiets is where it's at for brake pads.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have these all the way around every vehicle I own. My buddy went with advanced autos wearever ceramic gold platinum premium plus or whatever. His front wheels are constantly covered in brake dust. His chrome wheels look black all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
i don't know about you, but i will not pay $100 for 4 brake pads. that is ridiculous.

unless you mean $50 per set. then yes, i agree with you.

I personally noticed a big difference in stopping power after I went from Wagner to Hawk Performance LTS Pads... at $70.00 a set.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts