Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore my back bumper up the other day in the river, and have wanted to change the front anyway. I am planning on doing a main square tub with some round tube brush guards coming from it. Had the thought of making it totally sealed and having the option of filling it with air.

But I have some concerns of doing that. Does having the bumper pressurized make any difference to being able to absorb impacts, or being tugged on. My winch is already mounted on a reciever in the frame, but the other day we had to use the winch and some coaxing from another Jeep to get her up and out. So it might get yanked on occasionally, but not often.

I dont travel with air tools or anything. But thought it might be handy to have a built in air pig. But I concerned about the safety of it.

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
When making a tube bumper into a air tank you have to think of volume and air pressure, I have a 12 gallon air tank and when it is full it is kinda useless, I can fill a flat passenger car tire enough to get to a gas station to finish the job there- You will only get the air pressure from any air tank to be the same as the object it is filling. They make some nice 12 volt air compressors these days. I got one from Terrain Tamer, It works great.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
If you just pressurize it up to 120psi or somewhere around that i dont think it will have enough pressure to go taking off like a rocket and unless you use extremely thin metal it wont explode. It might get punctured and bleed by rather quickly and scare ya but i dont see it sending shrapnel at flesh tearing speed anytime soon.

If you need a example just bleed by the air hose on a compressor or something. 120psi isnt going to send stuff flying.

Also unless you use a extremely large tube then it wont hold enough air to be very useful. A onboard air system or some type of compressor would be a must

·
Registered
339 Posts
carry a nitrogen bottle with you (with the cap on ) you wont get the volume to pressure ratio with a bumper air pig u need to fill a off road tire or run a tool.. there are some small nitrogen kits available search them ..

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yea if you get a actual cylinder or say a scuba bottle you can pressurize that up the 3000 psi. put a regulator on it to reduce it to 120-130ish. You would have a lot more cubic feet of air

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have seen what you are talking about done in several different ways for different reasons. I have seen guys pressurize their roll cage with nitrous for cheating purposes. Personally I have sealed swing arms on motorcycles to use as the air reserve for the shifter. I have done a few other things similar to that but always used it as a storage tank that was filled by an on-board compressor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably going to do the air as well, as I think my AC is broke. But the bumper is going to come first, and I wanted to make sure before I spent the extra $$$ making it into an air pig that it didnt come with some safety concerns. As to me, I think the extra pressure would make it more prone to breaking in the event I used it on a tree.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
No, it really won't affect the bumper at all in terms of reliability. But I do agree with the other guys who said that that volume of air will be nearly worthless, and IMO it's not worth the trouble. I will point out that unless you're filling it with extremely dry air you are introducing moisture into the bumper every time you air it up, which of course will allow it to start rusting from the inside out...ask the Toyota guys how that worked out for their Tacoma frames. Your best bet is to rig up a compressor, or even just carry a cheapo electric one if that is all that's in the budget.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About the size of this not being worth while. Maybe math is off. But my oversized portable home compressor has a tank 9" dia by 24" long. Which is about 339 cubic inches. The bumper I was looking at is 3" x 5" and about 60", which is 900 cubic inches. Enough to fill one tire for sure. The moisture is a good point and needs to be consider for sure. I was going to powder coat the exterior, but you cant get into the interior to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts