Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to remove the front clip on a bronco? Im doing a 460 swap soon when im done building the motor. Also what kind of oil pan do i need for this swap?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I haven't done that particular swap, but I saw on an episode of Trucks where they dropped a 460 into a 78/79 bronco that they ordered a kit (for like 150-ish I think) that is designed to put a 460 in a fox body (why is beyond me)...but, it came with the pan, and a new pickup for the new sump location. Hope it helps.

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
it is easy cheese

did it to do my 460 swap... and the cab swap

First, drain the coolant. the radiator comes with the front clip. Remove the battery and wires/ecu/starter solenoid bolted to the inner fenders. Unplug the headlights and whatever else you can find that will not remove with the front clip

remove the two front body mount bolts and the front bumper... removal of the bumper just makes it easier to handle the clip.

Then there are 2 bolts on the lowest part of the fenders by the door.

Then there is a bolt in each door jamb... 1/2 if i remember right... these were the biggest pain, mainly because i had to use an open end wrench to get to them. Can use a socket i think to break them loose.

then there are 6 bolts (3 on each side) located where the front clips meet the fire wall. They bolt straight to the fire wall.

I also took the hood off to make it lighter... its held on by i think 6 bolts also at the hinges. Or you can take off the 8 that hold the hood to the hinges.

there are also one bolt on each side that hold the inner fender to a fabric "L" shaped thing.

it can be done with 2 people, but 3 makes it easier to balance and to help clear the fenders of the tires and whatever else they get hung up on.

May sound more complicated then it really is, but i can pull the front clip off in less then an hour now.

just watch for anything else that is connected when lifting up on the front clip, any wires or hoses.

as for the sump... if you have enough lift, a front sump will work. Mine is a front sump. Or you can get a rear sump from a truck 460

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
then there are 6 bolts (3 on each side) located where the front clips meet the fire wall. They bolt straight to the fire wall.
I pull the 6 (3 per side) bolts off of the inner fender well where the fender well meets the cowl bracket. It makes it easier to put the clip back on giving the fender wells a spot to rest on.

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
I pull the 6 (3 per side) bolts off of the inner fender well where the fender well meets the cowl bracket. It makes it easier to put the clip back on giving the fender wells a spot to rest on.
on mine, the ones that bolted straight into the firewall came out easier, so those are the ones i went with.

either way, you cant go wrong, if you take the hood off, the clip dont weigh much and is easy to move around and align back up

·
Registered
528 Posts
Unless you're dealing with a southern truck/bronco, the two bolts that hold the core support to the frame can be a nightmare. Start with these first, if they come out OK continue. I only pulled the hood to do my 460 swap.

I used the oil pan from a Van with a 460. you also need the oil pump and pickup, and main bearing bolt with stud and nut that supports oil pickup.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Yea What they Said!? ;) I took mine off in one whole piece also, even left the hood on it, I made a bar to run across the inside fender wells to hook my engine crane too ( Cherry picker ) unbolted from the firewall, bottom of the fenders, and up front by the rad support, unhooked what wires I could as close to the firewall as I could, and pulled the whole damn thing off in one piece by myself, I always have to come up with ways to do this shit alone, I'm my own one man wrecking crew!! most of my so called friends would just want to stand around and talk about how to do it? I like to just get it done then talk about it! so most times its just easier to do it alone, at least that's the way I like it :goodfinge Oh Yea! I'm my own best audience too! :popc1: I amuse myself :histerica ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts