Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have been experience some very annoying front end noises the last couple months. I am pretty sure its the TTB u joints and maybe axle pivot bushings. I replaced all the wheel bearings, spindle bearings, and seals 4 months ago.

When at neighborhood speeds, 10-20 MPH when I brake the front end clunks, I can hear it but not feel it.

I also hear a tapping sound that is in sync with the wheel rotating. No there is not something stuck in my tires.

With the front end lifted if I spin driver side tire I can hear the tapping and if I spin it back and forth really fast I can here a small clunking.

I was thinking about just removing the front axle shafts all together since I don't use the 4WD anymore while going to school, plus my manual locking hubs are broken.

Does this sound like a bad u joint thing to anyone else?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just noticed that while under the truck I can move the driver side axle in and out of the hub like 3mm. The passenger side is secure and does not move out at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your axle shafts should not be rotating if you do not have the front hubs locked, therefore I seriously doubt they or the u-joints are the problem. The in-out movement of the driver side shaft is normal (the pass shaft doesn't move easily because the dust boot on the slip yolk on the inner shaft). From your description of the rotational noise, the first thing I would try would be to pull the outer locking hub off and see if the noise goes away. If the hubs are indeed bad it is possible that they/it is sticking partially engaged and causing the problem. If this is what is creating the noise you will need to replace or rebuild the hub in order to fix it.

As for the clunk under braking, check the radius arm bushings and the slip yolk on the rear driveshaft. These are the two most common causes of clunks while braking.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your axle shafts should not be rotating if you do not have the front hubs locked, therefore I seriously doubt they or the u-joints are the problem. The in-out movement of the driver side shaft is normal (the pass shaft doesn't move easily because the dust boot on the slip yolk on the inner shaft). From your description of the rotational noise, the first thing I would try would be to pull the outer locking hub off and see if the noise goes away. If the hubs are indeed bad it is possible that they/it is sticking partially engaged and causing the problem. If this is what is creating the noise you will need to replace or rebuild the hub in order to fix it.

As for the clunk under braking, check the radius arm bushings and the slip yolk on the rear driveshaft. These are the two most common causes of clunks while braking.
Thanks for the response.

I can't take the hubs out because the screws are busted. They are missing internal components too, so I ordered a new set of Warn premies yesterday. I'm just going to bust the old hubs out and install new ones when I replace the u joints next week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have somewhat the same issue except I have auto hubs. I was toying with the idea of taking the hubs off and take a quick trip around the block to see if the noise continues. As for the clunk while braking I believe on my bronco it's the radius arm bushing on the driver's side. Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tony,

If want some help, just holler (I should be able to hear it). I just got a new Lithium drill/driver set I'm dying to try out. Also if you haven't paid for the hubs yet, I found a set in JY yesterday. I might go rob them Saturday if they're still there.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
did you check radius arm bushings? might also be something like shims for the calipers missing

theres a c-clip that's on the end of the axle shafts inside the hubs. make sure the c-clip is still there.

do you have milemarker lockouts? ive seen where when driving slow speed they will clunk around like there loose. yet be nice and tight when parked. seen it on a few trucks. don't know why

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tony,

Did you ever resolve the issue? I'm having the same problem now and I can't diagnose where the sound is coming from. I've replaced pads, rotors, bearings, spindle nuts, and have converted from auto to manual hubs.....the sound persists. It never happens in first gear but presents itself in second and while at low speeds. Very annoying and I would rather not have to take it in to have it repaired. Any follow-up would be greatly appreciated.

cppdreed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts