Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order my front coils and rear springs to go with my D60 swap in my 1992 Bronco.

Front
Skyjacker front coils for a 1979 Bronco - as I am changing the coil towers in my 1992 to the coil towers from the 1979 - 6'" lift part number #176
If I were to measure from the bottom of the front bumper before axle swap and after axle swap using the above 6" coils will it only be 6" higher? or will do I also pick up some lift due to the axle and where the bottom of the springs sit - for this comparison assume the same wheels & tire. Given this how much rear spring lift will I want to keep the Bronco level?

Rear
Skyjacker soft ride -
Question -
The Skyjacker site - why do the 6" lifts include the 6" front coil but only a 4" rear spring? and the 8" lift includes 8" front coils but only 6" rear springs?
So again the avove question what rear lift should I get to keep the Bronco level? the FR54S or FR56S
or I should ask is there a better, other than Skyjacker, spring - for trail this is not a daily driver


Oh, I tried to bolt my duff head to the c cap using white lithium on all parts but now the threads are stripped - from all my previous dry tries - should I have them drilled & tapped for next size - or just mill the back side, to get a flat surface and drill out to just go bolt & nut?


Thanks !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called cage on friday afternoon -

Does not sound like a bad idea - it sure would solve a lot if not all of my problems. the arms and weld on bracket is $800. Since I already purchased the Duff arms I figured I would give them one more try....

Cage do you think the cage weld bracket will be strong enough? I would hate to have the axle fall off - at least with the axle bolted between the c cap & arm I feel like it, the axle, would not be able to just fall off.

Hey what about the springs?

thanks
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
all the companies i know of give you springs that lift about 2" less in the rear so the truck gets leveled out and loses that raked look that no body likes.

i wouldn't worry about the cage brackets falling off. there would be a huge amount of liability if they could just fall off (assuming proper installation/welding). looks no different than say the tabs on a link suspension to me. i say go with it, i like the idea better than c-bushings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok I will be ordering the cage set up tomarrow - it sure sounds easy - and if I still feel uncomfortable after instalation Iwill just weld a front side overlapping on to the back side to full souround the axle - ok so I might not do this but it's nice to know I have a back up overkill plan


on a more important topic - I will hire a professional to do the welding - but if I have him weld about 2 inches at a time on each side to eep the heat down - do you thing the brackets can get welded on without disassembling the axle? my axles are currently completely built - or am I just worring too much is the heat from welding not an issue? my thought is that any grease in the axle bearings will just liquify under the heat and run out leaving my bearings subject to a shorter life

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
i would prolly dis assemble if it was me to be on the side of caution. As for the coils have you thought about a superflex set from jbg? i have the six inch coils right now which give around 7 or so lift on a 78 model bronco, but i hear if you order the 4 inchers they give you around 4 inches of lift. From what i can compare from a friends truck the superflex are well worth their money. i plan on cutting a coil or two off of mine when i install my 60 to lower the truck some.
 

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
Joined
·
8,614 Posts
woodydog said:
on a more important topic - I will hire a professional to do the welding - but if I have him weld about 2 inches at a time on each side to eep the heat down - do you thing the brackets can get welded on without disassembling the axle? my axles are currently completely built - or am I just worring too much is the heat from welding not an issue? my thought is that any grease in the axle bearings will just liquify under the heat and run out leaving my bearings subject to a shorter life

thanks
I wouldnt bother. Actually, i know i wouldnt, cuz i didnt :toothless
The wheel bearings are pretty far away from where the C's (or those tabs) go, i would think youd have to get the axle tubes cherry red before they heat up the wheel bearings enough to cook the grease.
 

·
Cadillac of Men
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
woodydog said:
Ok I will be ordering the cage set up tomarrow - it sure sounds easy - and if I still feel uncomfortable after instalation Iwill just weld a front side overlapping on to the back side to full souround the axle - ok so I might not do this but it's nice to know I have a back up overkill plan


on a more important topic - I will hire a professional to do the welding - but if I have him weld about 2 inches at a time on each side to eep the heat down - do you thing the brackets can get welded on without disassembling the axle? my axles are currently completely built - or am I just worring too much is the heat from welding not an issue? my thought is that any grease in the axle bearings will just liquify under the heat and run out leaving my bearings subject to a shorter life

thanks
couldnt you just order the brackets from cage? the cage and james duff arms are exactly the same. i would think the brackets would work with your duff arms.


i am reading this correctly. these brackets replace the "head unit" on the duff or cage arms, and you dont use radius arm bushings at all. correct? i dont see how this improves articulation. i was planning on making similiar brackets for when i swapped in a d60, but i scrapped it because its basically like welding the radius arm to the axle. sure you have the bushings there, but all they are going to do is absorb vibration. poly bushings allow rotational movement around the bolt, but do not allow much movement when twisting, especially when you have two of them mounted in the same plane. now they cant even rotate. i still think its a neat idea (mainly because it was mine 2 years ago) but im not sure how well it works. id have to try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No the Duff arms will not work on the Cage set up - I got this info directly from Cage -

Cage said they look alike - but once you have them side by side they are very different - and yes the individual who designed the arms for Duff is now one, if the the, head people at Cage - so they are probably correct in saying the arms are not interchangible.
 

·
Cadillac of Men
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
woodydog said:
No the Duff arms will not work on the Cage set up - I got this info directly from Cage -

Cage said they look alike - but once you have them side by side they are very different - and yes the individual who designed the arms for Duff is now one, if the the, head people at Cage - so they are probably correct in saying the arms are not interchangible.

I know Jim Cole designed the arms for Duff, and I know he left Duff to start Cage. I just thought the arms were the same.

Anyway, at least you can sell your duff arms to get some money back. By the way, the threads on my Duff arms stripped out too. I called Duff to complain, and they sent me new head units. They didnt even ask any questions, even though I had bought the arms a year before. I think they had some casting problems and they knew it.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
SquattyD said:
I know Jim Cole designed the arms for Duff, and I know he left Duff to start Cage. I just thought the arms were the same.

Anyway, at least you can sell your duff arms to get some money back. By the way, the threads on my Duff arms stripped out too. I called Duff to complain, and they sent me new head units. They didnt even ask any questions, even though I had bought the arms a year before. I think they had some casting problems and they knew it.
Dimensionally they are probably very similar, but there are differences. I don't remember them all, Jim told me once....tubing thickness is one, and inside the front "boxed" section that uses 1/4" plate steel Jim had made another mod or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
woodydog said:
- I will hire a professional to do the welding - but if I have him weld about 2 inches at a time on each side to eep the heat down - do you thing the brackets can get welded on without disassembling the axle? my axles are currently completely built - or am I just worring too much is the heat from welding not an issue? my thought is that any grease in the axle bearings will just liquify under the heat and run out leaving my bearings subject to a shorter life

thanks
If you hire a professional, just tell him what you want the end state to be, and let him set it up. There is a hell of a lot of steel in an axle assembly to carry off heat, that little bit of welding won't bother your grease a bit. Probably more heat in heavily used brakes.
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,830 Posts
so that bracket would take the place of the C bushings?
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,830 Posts
and the lower spring Bucket welds to that ?
 

·
Cadillac of Men
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
davesanrn said:
If you hire a professional, just tell him what you want the end state to be, and let him set it up. There is a hell of a lot of steel in an axle assembly to carry off heat, that little bit of welding won't bother your grease a bit. Probably more heat in heavily used brakes.
a little welding on an axle can warp it, let alone draw grease out of the bearings.

i would leave the bearings in, and then rebuild the axle afterwards. unless everything is new anyway, then i guess you could take em out and reuse em.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
kemicalburns said:
and the lower spring Bucket welds to that ?
good question. I have not seen the top of it. I'm thinking it has some thick steel up there, and maybe some bungs already underneath, so again the lower coil mounts are just screw in like stock.
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,830 Posts
I wanna for sure see pics of this once they are installed.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top