Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm just installing my front diff unit after having a machine shop set up the R&P for me, but I noticed that there's no roller bearing behind the seal on the left side (sied with the full axle halfshaft -- no plunge joint).

Should there be a roller bearing on the left side? Looks like the axle shaft has worn smooth as if there was a bearing there, but the shop manual doesn't show one. There is space enough behind the seal for a roller bearing, but......

Thanks!!
-frank

(Changing my ratio to 4.11 and installing a Truetrac, BTW.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
You need to give a little more info, like what year Bronco and such so we know what type of front end ya gots. is it TTB or solid axle?
Shane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry 'bout that...

This is a '90 with a TTB (Dana 44). I'm asking about the left side of the third member (pumpkin). The machine shop installed new bearings and seals throughout, and there is a big roller bearing on the right axle side (passenger side, the side with the slip yoke in the axle and two U-joints). They put new seals on both the left and right axle bores, but the left bore has no roller bearing for the axle.

This just seems odd to me: an axle shaft that is supported only by the splined end (that hooks to the diff guts) with the outer end only having a U-joint -- seems like that is an unstable situation. In confession, I didn't look closely at the member when I pulled it; just pulled it and ran it over to the machine shop.....

Thanks!
-frank

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is right if memory serves me. It is supported inside by the carrier and on the outside by the knuckle and spindle assy. I do not believe there is another bearing inside of the housing for support like there is on the passenger side.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Like I said, I could be wrong. Been there before, and seeing as it's been over a year since I tore my front end apart my memory could be failing, but I am thinking that with the short little stub shaft on the drivers side that they did not use another bearing just used the carrier bearing for support on the inside.
Shane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts