Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I know to drive 20 miles, park it and let it cool then drive 500 miles and change the gear oil, however i am talking about the front and i don't/can't drive for 50 miles in 4 wheel drive. so what is the process for the front break in?

·
Registered
327 Posts
the only thing it could possibly hurt doing that is the chain in the transfer case. And as long as your not doing neutral drops and other dumb stuff, you arent going to hurt it.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I see nothing wrong with driving it around in front wheel drive (4x4 with rear d-shaft out) this is probably the best break-in method. i've done a lot of driving in FWD (usually when something in the rear is broken) and i can tell you one thing... it's easy to do burnouts!

a few other things i'd note, is that i think changing the gear oil after break-in is a bit of over-kill. personally, i don't even break in the front gears at all when i change 'em. i just go wheel it hard immediately afterwards.. not saying that it wouldn't be a good idea to break 'em in.. i'm just impatient.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all, think I'll just go to the beach for a day and change the fluid when i get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts