Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the filler plug on the front differential, the plug looks square. I've tried removing it with a crescent wrench with no luck. I'm afraid in order to get it out, I'll strip it.

I've been looking all over, can't find the replacement part. ANYONE KNOW? Please help

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Usually, such plugs have a standard taper pipe thread, so, worst case scenario, you can get one similar at a hardware store. Might be zinc plated, but it'll work.

Reactions: turtle1025

· Registered
1,889 Posts
If it’s a square head you can buy an 8-point socket to give you more contact area. The right size 12 point may also fit. If it’s a recessed head I think I used a 3/8 or 1/2 extension.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would've been so much easier if it was recessed. Yea i tried fitting a 12 point socket in there. It fit, but was afraid i'd just round it. I'll try using my impact with the 12 point.
Mine looks like the one on the left:
Automotive tire Coin Currency Font Money

So nobody makes a replacement plug? Just too generic?

· Man of endless projects
11,234 Posts
Would've been so much easier if it was recessed.
you say that until you strip one out. at least having an external head, theres alwatys something to grab even if tis rounded

· Registered
1,215 Posts
This is one of the places where the correct open end wrench, or even a well tightened adjustable wrench works great. Not to mention, closed end wrenches are 12 point.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got it loose with a big ass pipe wrench, square nub still intact :). Looks like some parts of the threads on the bolt are chipped/ridged, not even sure how that'd happen. Also why would someone tighten it that much? When I re-bolted it back on I hand tightened and gave it a little extra for a snug fit.

Thanks everyone for the help!

· Registered
1994 Ford Bronco 351w E4OD
50 Posts
Your gear oil will discolored with use but it shouldn't look like oil. Either it is heating up or you have contamination. Is your breather still attached and up above the frame?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your gear oil will discolored with use but it shouldn't look like oil. Either it is heating up or you have contamination. Is your breather still attached and up above the frame?
The hoses going into the axle? I should check. thanks!

· Registered
1994 Ford Bronco 351w E4OD
50 Posts
Black is definitely better than brown to an extent... Brown usually indicates water with the oil. Depending on what brand you use you oil can start its life as light translucent gold or even blue. But normally black, that smells pretty strong, mostly in the front end, may indicate a broken axle seal which the oil is leaking. The grease may appear on the housing coming through the steering knuckles, which can also damage the knuckles.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Black is definitely better than brown to an extent... Brown usually indicates water with the oil. Depending on what brand you use you oil can start its life as light translucent gold or even blue. But normally black, that smells pretty strong, mostly in the front end, may indicate a broken axle seal which the oil is leaking. The grease may appear on the housing coming through the steering knuckles, which can also damage the knuckles.
The smell wasn't any worse than the new stuff I put in (i sniffed both cause gear oil smells weird to me). I didn't see any leaks or any grease around the housing, although I did notice dirt/grime in the bottom lip just underneath the pumpkin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts