Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be easy, but it is far from it. Some people were hoping for a tech-writeup but I was way too busy to take a million pictures as well as keeping watch on one of my pa's mares who is due to foal. Swapping radiator cores is not a hard job, just incredibly tedious especially when some bolts come out, others break in two, and others simply spin in place. My original plan of swapping cores, timing chain and rag-joint were busted. I did however, have a productive day.

Bumper, bezels, and grill out. Make sure to put bolts in sandwich baggies and label them! Im sure i'll still end up with leftovers, but I feel like im doing the right thing:

Dad is taking care of some stragglers:

All torn out. trying to figure out what went in the open bracket above the alternator:

Here are the old and the new. The AC condenser is getting thrown in the trash along with the rest of the AC components. More air for the radiator. One tip: Spray several coats of paint on the new core. They only have a coat of PPG primer from the LMC factory:

Everybody remember! Sixlitre is your friend. He gave me the heads up on grooves in the harmonic balancer. Luckily I followed his advice and bought Felpro #4545 Timing chain gasket set. It includes a sleeve that will take care of this:

I also followed Malcoms advice and painted up the timing marks. I painted the balancer with a black engine enamel, and used a roller-tip touch up paint to enhance the markers. Pulley and balancer came off in one piece. I dont know how to, or if I should have them seperate. Ill give it another coat later:

And here is where I ended the day. The two bolts that are left are soaking as we speak because they were on the verge of stripping:

No major carnage except for splitting the hard lines that carry the tranny fluid to and from the cooler. Anybody happen to know their size so I can get some replacements and splice them in? I'll tell you something when doing a core swap though, have a full compliment of Imperial AND metric tools in hand. I had to switch back and forth a million times.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Looks like it is comming right along. The bracket above the Alt is where the Smog Pump was originally located. So since your removing the ac whacha going to do to the a/c brackets? hmmmm..

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
MatthewC said:
All torn out. trying to figure out what went in the open bracket above the alternator:

Smog pump related, my 87 f350 has that same exact setup, just minues the smog pump :thumbup

cant remove the bracket tho with out fabbin up another bracket for it. i tried it. but thats what it is. looks exactly the same

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You might reconsider tossing the A/C condenser. It provides a lot of protection for the radiator and doesn't affect air flow at all. Mine has kept a couple birds from destroying a new radiator. You can also convert it into a killer tranny cooler, just be sure to flush it thorougly first.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was gonna throw out the AC condenser because I have a brand new one in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. Wouldnt using that instead of the regular tranny cooler be overkill? How would one convert?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
MatthewC said:
I was gonna throw out the AC condenser because I have a brand new one in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. Wouldnt using that instead of the regular tranny cooler be overkill? How would one convert?
In my Canadian opinion

you bet it'd be overkill for us Canajians. Might well be just what a Texan needs but we'd freeze our trannies after August.

Looking Good Matt

Did you get the upper hand over those last two pump bolts ? I got lucky and mine came out okay. Lather them threads up with anti-seize !

If you are gonna get rid of that A/C compressor and bracketry, make sure you grab the extra brackets for a saginaw pump (off an 80-86 E-150 van) while you're at the junkyard.

Is that there your underhood toolbox betwen the resevoir and driver's fender ?

Man your Pappy is young ! Mine was that age too once, but he's not automotively inclined, he's a woodworker. I fix his cars and he makes me furniture and kitchens(a hobby of his that he's real good at).

Hope it's going well

Sixlitre

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those last two bolts will have to be ground off. Im assuming that when I grind the heads off flush to the pump I'll be able to pull it off, then get them out with vice-grips? Im gonna pick up some new bolts tomorrow, im pretty sure thay are all 1/2 head, 5/16 thread. 3 four inchers, 1 five inchers, 2 two inchers, and 1 two and three quarter incher. And a 10mm thrown in for confusion.

I thought I might be able to put the brand new spare condenser I have to good use, but ill most likely give it, and the pump away to whatever local Ford guy wants it. Thats the toolbox alright, keep some adjustable wrenches, wire, wire tester, and a quart of oil in there.

Dont let Dads youthful good looks fool ya, he turned 60 a couple months ago. RCMP for thirty years, Deputy Minister Public Safety for five, and Director Canadian Inteligence Services for 7 years. Jogged a couple of miles every day for each of those years. He's a woodworker too, but loves to lend a hand with the truck.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
MatthewC said:
Those last two bolts will have to be ground off. Im assuming that when I grind the heads off flush to the pump I'll be able to pull it off, then get them out with vice-grips? Im gonna pick up some new bolts tomorrow, im pretty sure thay are all 1/2 head, 5/16 thread. 3 four inchers, 1 five inchers, 2 two inchers, and 1 two and three quarter incher. And a 10mm thrown in for confusion.

I thought I might be able to put the brand new spare condenser I have to good use, but ill most likely give it, and the pump away to whatever local Ford guy wants it. Thats the toolbox alright, keep some adjustable wrenches, wire, wire tester, and a quart of oil in there.

Dont let Dads youthful good looks fool ya, he turned 60 a couple months ago. RCMP for thirty years, Deputy Minister Public Safety for five, and Director Canadian Inteligence Services for 7 years. Jogged a couple of miles every day for each of those years. He's a woodworker too, but loves to lend a hand with the truck.

Crap !

I wouldn't be surprised if my Pappy knew yours Matt

He was with CSIS for 10 years and military intel before that.

Best of luck finding those bolts, especially the 10 mm

Sixlitre

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im going back at it Saturday. Hopefully ill be able to finish it up. Hardest part will be changing the rag-joint I think, the rest is just tediousnous. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on something....

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other parts have been gathered for other things that need done. Still torn apart in the barn at my fathers place. See "Bonehead move of the month" thread to see where I stand at the moment. You have a spare timing cover lying around I could buy off you?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
MatthewC said:
Other parts have been gathered for other things that need done. Still torn apart in the barn at my fathers place. See "Bonehead move of the month" thread to see where I stand at the moment. You have a spare timing cover lying around I could buy off you?
I'll pick one up today for you.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, that would be awesome. I asked the girlfriend if I could get away today but she told me I have to go shopping with her and im not allowed. God im pathetic.

Let me know how much, ill come by sunday or monday (whenever your home) and give you some $$

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
OK bud, your hooked up! This is off of an EFI 5.0 but all that needs to be done is to bore out the block in the pump fitting, and I might even have that done for you by the time your girlfriend lets you off the leash. Had a couple broken studs in it but I took it to work and welded on some nuts - studs came right out even degreased it for you, also took the balancer, alt bracket and a bunch of bolts for you. :rockon Auto part Automotive engine timing part Automotive engine part

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Machine

Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Machine Pottery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts