Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig has had a solid axle for years, when I did the swap it got all new components, ball joints, the whole 9 yards. I put maybe 500 to 600 miles on it a year. The first set of tires I put on after the swap were IROK bias ply..great tire but they wore prematurely..

Anyway, fast forward to now, I've had an issue with a vibration in the front end between 65 and 69 mph..It doesn't do it at any other speed..

The tires on there now are swamper m-16 37x13.50 15. They were balanced and are wearing evenly, but whenever I get up to that speed the front end feels like it wants to shake loose..once I go past the 70 it's fine..

Some observations, I've checked the bearings..they seem fine, no play on either side, the driver side did feel a little tight, so I'm going to adjust it.. now something I just recently noticed, and I'm not sure how long it's been this way is that the drivers side axle is constantly engaged..even with the hub unlocked its still turning..so, this weekend I'll took the hub apart and now the axle shaft is not engaged.looks like I need a new hub..

Interestingly enough, the vibration always feels like it's coming from the drivers side, I'm wondering if the fact that the axle shaft was engaged all the time had something to do with it..thoughts?

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
My rig has had a solid axle for years, when I did the swap it got all new components, ball joints, the whole 9 yards. I put maybe 500 to 600 miles on it a year. The first set of tires I put on after the swap were IROK bias ply..great tire but they wore prematurely..

Anyway, fast forward to now, I've had an issue with a vibration in the front end between 65 and 69 mph..It doesn't do it at any other speed..

The tires on there now are swamper m-16 37x13.50 15. They were balanced and are wearing evenly, but whenever I get up to that speed the front end feels like it wants to shake loose..once I go past the 70 it's fine..

Some observations, I've checked the bearings..they seem fine, no play on either side, the driver side did feel a little tight, so I'm going to adjust it.. now something I just recently noticed, and I'm not sure how long it's been this way is that the drivers side axle is constantly engaged..even with the hub unlocked its still turning..so, this weekend I'll took the hub apart and now the axle shaft is not engaged.looks like I need a new hub..

Interestingly enough, the vibration always feels like it's coming from the drivers side, I'm wondering if the fact that the axle shaft was engaged all the time had something to do with it..thoughts?
probably, If I leave my hubs locked at any signifigant speed I get a bad vibration.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's all it is I'll be thrilled..guess I can try driving it now with the hubs removed and see what it does..if the vibration goes away, problem solved..

something tells me it's not going to be that easy though.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stands to reason, the vibration is much more pronounced on the drivers side, but the strange part is that it smooths out after I get above that 68/69 mph threshold and it's not noticeable at any other speeds...

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Stands to reason, the vibration is much more pronounced on the drivers side, but the strange part is that it smooths out after I get above that 68/69 mph threshold and it's not noticeable at any other speeds...
Unbalanced rotational parts (axles) that are spinning when the OTHER side isn't do funky things.

If it keeps acting up, just go 64 or 70mph.

Remember the check engine light thread? :rofl::toothless

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unbalanced rotational parts (axles) that are spinning when the OTHER side isn't do funky things.

If it keeps acting up, just go 64 or 70mph.

Remember the check engine light thread? :rofl::toothless
you never miss a chance to remind me about the check engine light thread, do you...:goodfinge:goodfinge

an of course the speed where it vibrates has to be how fast I like to drive...:toothless

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
you never miss a chance to remind me about the check engine light thread, do you...:goodfinge:goodfinge

an of course the speed where it vibrates has to be how fast I like to drive...:toothless
No sir, when you drive a truck 600 miles a year a small piece of black electrical tape would have saved you hours and hundreds of dollars. :goodfinge:goodfinge

Dude, I know that feeling. I had a bent rim on the kia and when it was up front it shook between 65-75mph and pissed me off. :banghead

But it's gone now. :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's not the hub spinning the axle, I'm betting you have a tire slightly out of round. Find somewhere that does tire truing and have them done.
thanks Gack..I've looked all over to find a place that does tire truing/shaving..the closest one is in Georgia I think..

wouldn't surprise me if it was the tire. They were take offs I got a really good deal from a local shop..the person decided they didn't like the tires...now maybe I'm finding out why...on second thought, I could move one from the front to the back and see whether that makes a difference..

·
Registered
1 Posts
my sister owns an 88 eddie bauer full size bronco. I'm just her mechanic. she shakes hard from mid 30 kph to past fifty kph. I'm thinking it might be her auto lockers failed. (we live in canada) but she only shakes under power. if i coast down hill and hit those speeds she doesn't shake. a little lost here. any help will be most kindly appreciated thanks.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got my new hubs on Friday, Milemarker Supremes..quite a bit different than the old MM's that were on there. Not quite as heavy, but they should be fine..ordered them off of Amazon, $70 plus the ride..here you can see them side by side. I had looked around and the ones that I had on there go for nearly twice the price as they're considered heavy duty, maybe I'll see if I can get a rebuild kit them..

Anyway, back to the vibration..with the drivers side tire off, the rotor felt like it had a lot of excessive drag, so I decided to adjust the lock nuts on the bearings to see if that would do anything..even after the adjustment, I could still feel a lot of drag...

Next I checked the caliper and something didn't look right..the piston was pushed out so the pad was engaged with the rotor...hmm, now I'm beginning to wonder if a seized caliper was the cause of the vibration..but wouldn't it vibrate at all speeds if that were the case??

I knew I had a couple of spare calipers in a parts box, unfortunately the one I had was seized as well and it was new..so, after a quick trip to napa for a new new one, got it installed and I was back in business..haven't had a chance yet to get it up to vibration speed yet. At least now I will have eliminated the axle shaft and caliper from the equation..hopefully it will do the trick...

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
The caliper won't cause a vibration. But a slightly warped rotor getting kissed by a slightly seized caliper might. So, if the rotor isn't true, you can still get a vibration. However if that vibration at the given speed did NOT get worse NOR change when you would apply the brakes, I doubt that is your problem.

Stay tuned, Jermil is about to entirely disassemble and fully rebuild this axle. :rofl:

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea how long the caliper has been squeezing that rotor, so it's totally possible that it's warped...I'll see what it does this weekend when I take it camping..if the vibration is still there, I'll have the rotor checked..

and no, I won't be rebuilding the entire front axle...yet..:goodfinge

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update..did 100 mile round trip this weekend to go camping, and there was a noticeable reduction in the front end vibration. this since installing the new hubs so the drivers axle shaft could be disengaged..There was still a very small amount but no where near the front end shaking that I felt before and I was able to comfortably cruise between 68 - 70 the whole way..

I think part of the problem is still the tires, just can't justify spending $1400 on new ones right now...

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Good thing it's better!

Now ignore it or drive 67 or 71 :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts