Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first write up, and i did not take enough pictures, but I hope itll help some people so here goes :thumbup

I made this so i could mount my winch front or rear
-Well first i took the bumper off..

-I started with just a regular hitch receiver we had laying around

-Than i cut the ends off of it.

-Than i cut (with a torch) a "square" in my frame (both sides obviously)

- I took some receiver tubing and ran it through the frame and through the hitch receiver

Since my wholes werent perfect, i got it even and about where i wanted and tached it

Once i got it where i wanted, i welded everything completely up

than i cut a whole in the bumper and put it back on

I still need to paint it :doh0715:
and when i do that i am going to weld some 90 degree trusses on it
but i believe itll be pretty stout. Its held up so far to everything ive thrown at it.

My license plate looked stupid too and this is the only picture I have of the new bracket i made for it
out of some angle iron

Hope this helps!:thumbup
-Vance

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been wanting to do this also....nice write up and good pics !......What did you reference to locat the hole in your bumper correctly ?

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njneer1 i honestly just eyeballed it. i knew the receiver itself was dead center so i just went from that. the hole itself is a little off center but i dont really care. ill probably go back and weld some diamond plate over it to center it and make it look "cool" but who knows

Northernguy, that was the original plan but i couldnt fit the uncut full length receiver from between the horns and that was my next greatest idea so i went for it.

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Hey Vance,
The front hitch looks great and as long as it's solid and holds up who cares right? Why don't you do for your front plate what I did for my rear plate. I have a Smittybilt tube rear so I just took a slip in receiver piece that still has the hole inside for the lock pin, cut off the ball end leaving just enough sticking out to tack weld a piece of angle iron on top. Then drill 2 holes in the angle iron, the width of the top license plate holes, and bolt on the plate. You can take it off when you need to tow and pop it in and lock it when you don't.....plus your locks always there when you need it. :thumbup -Kevin-

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Nice idea! I might just have to hit up the yard with a tape measure to find a hitch just the right length to be able to bolt it in after welding new brackets.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Hey Vance,
The front hitch looks great and as long as it's solid and holds up who cares right? Why don't you do for your front plate what I did for my rear plate. I have a Smittybilt tube rear so I just took a slip in receiver piece that still has the hole inside for the lock pin, cut off the ball end leaving just enough sticking out to tack weld a piece of angle iron on top. Then drill 2 holes in the angle iron, the width of the top license plate holes, and bolt on the plate. You can take it off when you need to tow and pop it in and lock it when you don't.....plus your locks always there when you need it. :thumbup -Kevin-
Doesn't California require lights on the license plate? Not that I am stickler for laws, I just figured you would get pulled over for that one.

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Doesn't California require lights on the license plate? Not that I am stickler for laws, I just figured you would get pulled over for that one.
Yeah, they do in the rear. My stock bumper ones are tucked behind the plate. The trucks been off the road forever....:banghead. Other than getting a fan controller, she's finished. I found a company, have the link somewhere, that has license plate bolts that have white bulbs inside that shine down on each side onto your plate just for this sort of thing. Really cool and you can't really tell till they're turned on. Gotta find that link....:thumbup -Kevin-

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Yeah, they do in the rear. My stock bumper ones are tucked behind the plate. The trucks been off the road forever....:banghead. Other than getting a fan controller, she's finished. I found a company, have the link somewhere, that has license plate bolts that have white bulbs inside that shine down on each side onto your plate just for this sort of thing. Really cool and you can't really tell till they're turned on. Gotta find that link....:thumbup -Kevin-
I am a dumba$$. I read the OP's post, then read yours and forgot you guys were talking about the front hitch by the time I got to the end. :doh0715:

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought i posted on this awhile back but DNBELOWBRONCO,i like that, thats a good idea.itd be nice always knowing exactly where your pin was.
Rookus, the thing i like most about it is that i can winch front or rear now. Also, i can take it off because even with welded nuts these get stolen a lot.

Iam not sure if i would change anything. It makes it a litter harder to get to the bumper bolts but its not a huge deal. The only thing i would add are some 90 degree trusses to stiffen it up a little more. Otherwise i liked how it turned out and where. had i bolted it on, id be able to take it off which would be nice but the through the frame thing was kind of spur of the moment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts