Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just about every gasket is new on my truck. Head gaskets valve cover. New timing cover. Oil pan. Water pump. Front and rear seal. The whole 9 yards. However i noticed some dampness under my truck and am having a tough time pinpointing the leak. I don't think it is timing cover. Head or valve cover. I did use a repair sleeve on my harmonic balancer and the surrounding area appears wet now. Also it doesn't look like the oil pan it looks to be above the oil pan. Tell me what you think.

Here its on the air pump which is inline with the seal Making me think it's flinging it out

The oil is only milky here because i steamed it off.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Did you change the front seal? It could be damaged. I know exactly how big of a pain in the ass that seal is to get into place properly.
also....

When you put your timing cover back on, how did you align it to the harmonic balancer?

The guide dowels on the timing cover have alot of play in them, so its pretty easy to get that seal a tad bit out of alignment. You can always secure some white cardboard or paper down in there somewhere and run the truck (after you run it for a few miles to make sure its all up to temperature) in your driveway and see if any oil is being spewed out onto the paper from the seal.

If you confirm the leak, the timing cover being out of alignment would be my best guess.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seal is brand new aw well as the timing cover. If it was out alignment, how would i repair that?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
thats the trick isnt it. I hate to say this, but how ever you do it is going to be a giant pain in the ass. Did you RTV the oil pan seal to the Timing Cover? thats going to be your biggest bitch right there. You will have to loosen the bolts for the TC and use the balancer to align the seal. It wont have to move much, just a tiny little bit. I would DEFINITELY confirm thats where the leak is before I did anything else.

More than likely it will all have to come apart, be cleaned and re-sealed.

Lets see what others have to say about it before you go tearing things apart though. someone else may have a better solution.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the trick isnt it. I hate to say this, but how ever you do it is going to be a giant pain in the ass. Did you RTV the oil pan seal to the Timing Cover? thats going to be your biggest bitch right there. You will have to loosen the bolts for the TC and use the balancer to align the seal. It wont have to move much, just a tiny little bit. I would DEFINITELY confirm thats where the leak is before I did anything else.

More than likely it will all have to come apart, be cleaned and re-sealed.

Lets see what others have to say about it before you go tearing things apart though. someone else may have a better solution.
Well shit. I did use rtv on the corners and I always take my time to do things right. In fact thats why i pulled the engine due to a coolant leak at the timing chain cover.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
maybe someone else can come up with a better idea. Just hang tight. The only reason I say its the seal alignment is, when I did my engine build, I didnt have any dowels. I had to take extra extra time and care aligning the seal and timing cover to the block.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure it's not sneaking down from the valve cover or intake manifold.
It didn't look like it to me. The valve covers, intake, and head gaskets were all done by a well trusted shop. I'll double check though. By the way does anyone have experience with tri star engines?

·
Man of endless projects
9,291 Posts
the harmonic balancer can have a bad spot on where the seal rides. take the balancer off, put a new seal on, get a redi sleeve for the balancer or perfereable a new balancer itself. make sure u put oil around the balancer and on inside of the seal. check to make sure the lip of the seal didn't fold when you oput the balancer on. might need to use a pick to get the lip correct

spray some brake cleaner between the oil pan seal and the front main seal. let engine run for awhile and then see if its the main or the pan seal

might lift the engine some, lower the pan and do a 1-piec pan gasket. then make sure to use RTV on all corners and alittle on the bottom of the edge of where the timing cover and block meet

its cheaper to get a timing cover gasket set that includes the redi-sleeve than it is to buy the sleeve itself

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did put a sleeve on the balancer but i might consider getting a new balancer if that would help. Also when i had the engine out i replaced the oil pan gasket with the blue rubber one piece and rtvd the corners.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah but it takes a while to get noticable results so to speak. If oil does drip off the balancer, wouldn't that be a giveaway or no?

·
Man of endless projects
9,291 Posts
if you did the speedi sleeve and a new seal, my guess is part of the lip of the seal got folded back.

the sleeve makes the balancer just abit thicket where the seal will not want to go on correctly. when I did my rear main seal on a 302 with a sleeve, I had to use a pick to get the lip unfolded out

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you did the speedi sleeve and a new seal, my guess is part of the lip of the seal got folded back.

the sleeve makes the balancer just abit thicket where the seal will not want to go on correctly. when I did my rear main seal on a 302 with a sleeve, I had to use a pick to get the lip unfolded out
This is what I'm thinking/hoping it is. It doesn't seem to be leaking too bad but i think I'll add the fluorescent dye to it and get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I'm the same way. I'll have to borrow the oil dye kit from work and go from there.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Also, just as a note, if you end up replacing the front seal, use your finger to smear a thin film of RTV (I prefer Permatex's "Right Stuff" black) around the outer part of the seal's metal body where it contacts the timing cover bore before you seat it. This is cheap insurance against a leak around the seal body. Sometimes, that factory coating has imperfections or degrades pre-maturely.

My $0.02,
Eric

1 - 20 of 43 Posts