Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to move a couch with the bronco yesterday, and realized that I cant drive with the tailgate down because of the stupid spare tire mount.

I dont want to sacrafice storage space by putting the spare inside, and I dont want to drive around without a spare.

Does anyone know where I can buy/get plans to build something to mount the spare in front of the grille?

I know they used to make them, because my dad had one on his 91 F350 work truck years ago. He said he watched his work throw it away, because he couldnt imagine why he would ever need one.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
I have driven with my gatedown before, but it probably does put to much pressure on the hinges and torsion bar in the tailgate...I really would not reccomend it. What year did the air bags start on the broncos? I don't think you have one but if so I would'nt put the tire on the front.. Might look into roof racks for the tire, Get a good one or build it yourself if you have the tools.......Thats where mines going when i get a welder....Fog

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Damn!! I thought I recognized that name on ebay the other day.....Now I know why you wanna go up front....JC whitney's might have something U can adapt to your bumper.. Congrats on the top by the way, I was watching it but I just could'nt spend the cash with this trip Belize thursday, so I left it alone.....Fog

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
get a front reciever hitch and then get one of those spare tire mounts that slides into a reciever hitch

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Why dont you put the tire on top of the boat mount you talked about in your other thread? When you build it, design a spot for the tire and boat to fit.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The boat is probly only about 100lbs, even with the sail, and everything else.

I like the idea of adding feet to sit on the bumper.

The only problem is the boat is kind of wide, and it wouldnt fit next to the spare tire. Also, it's not wide enough to straddle the spare. So it would have to go above the spare, and I dont want to build up too much ride height.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
I really dont want to impair my front ground clearance though... I wonder if that's even possible
i don't know how good your fabbing skills are, but you could design one that bolt up the the front between the frame rails like what keith L is doing for beermans crossmember.

mount the reciever in between the frame rails, and then cut a hole in the bumper where it needs to pass through. no lost clearance and you have a stronger frontend too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
only thing i wonder about is the air bags?? (if yours has them they wont work right). And radiator cooling. the spare tire blocks alot of air flow for cooling.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
but about the cooling. i have heard of guys that had the spare up front that they over heat when its hot out. think about it your basicially plugging off alot of your cooling capacity.

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
The boat is probly only about 100lbs, even with the sail, and everything else.

I like the idea of adding feet to sit on the bumper.

The only problem is the boat is kind of wide, and it wouldnt fit next to the spare tire. Also, it's not wide enough to straddle the spare. So it would have to go above the spare, and I dont want to build up too much ride height.

Pu tit in the boat when you take it out. and then on the roof when the boat isnt on there. cause i dont think that u carry ur baot with u all the time... Or do U?!?!?!?

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
That looks perfect. Thanks, David.

I'd still like to hear from someone who has used one.
I mounted one to a shop truck, when I worked at a tire shop, in Alaska. In the summers where I was, it was 85+ for msot of the summer... never had a problem with cooling, and the engine never got hot. The upper straps, however, did become fatigued, and one broke. Eventually, we remvoed it, and put the spare back under the truck

What does all this mean? Have a front receiver made, cut a hole in the front of the bumper, and buy my slide-in tire carrier :toothless

1 - 20 of 41 Posts