Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front oil seal had started leaking to the point were friends didnt want me to park in thier driveways anymore.I read my Chilton and Haynes manuals and it didnt seem to be a big job.The first problem I had was when I tried to remove the harmonic balancer the motor would turn over instead of loosening the bolt.No matter what I tried it would spin the motor.I called a mechanics shop and he told me a neat trick: Put a socket and breakerbar on the bolt,put cheater pipe on the breaker bar so that it rests on the floor,disconnect the coil wire and then let the starter turn over the motor . My first thoughts were of the socket,breaker bar and cheater pipe flying through the engine compartment wreaking all kinds of havoc but I was willing to risk it. The bolt spun right out! The starter turned over as if there was nothing there.WOW!!! Next problem: My bearing seperator wouldnt fit behind the oil seal to get it out.After using screwdrivers,pliers and vise grips I was totally frustrated and the seal was all chewed up now.I took another chance! I grabbed my air hammer and put a chisel tip on it and with ever so slight pressure on the trigger let it tap away on the chewed up edges of the seal and it practicaly fell right out with no damage to the sealing surface.WHEW!! More luck! I took a section of pipe the same diameter of the new seal and tapped it right in. NO MORE LEAK!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Slick idea, but my testies are not that big. I think I would break something. I used a prybar and wedged it in the holes of the balancer and let the prybar come around and rest on the frame or the floor.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,063 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool trick. Any pics of you doing this by chance?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt want to take off the fan shroud,radiator,ect. to give enough space to get the impact wrench in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts