Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey on my 79 bronco, if i drive in either forward or reverse, left or right. she makes a ticking noise that gets worse as i speed up. its real loud and annoying and i dont like the sound of it. it all happened after i went an got stuck with my new 33s if that makes a difference. and i unlocked the hubs and same thing still ticking.
thanks guys

·
Registered
841 Posts
When you say got stuck, are we referring to mud??? If so you could have a rock or something stuck up in there somewhere

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea mud. and thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
this could be a lot of things. Take the wheel off and spin the rotor and listen for it, you should be able to find it right off the bat. My guess is it's either a bad bearing, hub not fully disengaged or something possibly in the dust cover that is acting like a baseball card in your bike's spokes. if it's a bearing it will be great experience for you. Get a haynes manual, a hub nut socket, allen keys, clean rags, ratchet and some grease. There is nothing on that wheel that is mentally difficult to tear down, in fact, the first time I snapped a shaft (knuckle went with it), I was pleasantly surprised at how simple a design it is. I'm glad I did it because when I break on the trail it's not something that freaks me out, I can fix anything that doesn't require a welder (don't have an underhood welder yet) right there on the trail. good luck, but I bet you won't need it, sounds pretty simple.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man. and i know all about changing wheel bearings and shafts on the TTB.. im guessing it cant be much different on these. ill take it apart this evening and let you guys know
thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found my prob. the hub must be blew up cause its always engaged. now to get this damn thing off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts