Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982, 300 I6, T-18
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front passenger stub axle is stuck in the rubber boot. People online say "just pull it out" but that isn't working. There are no clips attached to the boot, and unless there is a replacement part available, I do not want to cut the boot or melt it with a torch. How do I get it out?

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,516 Posts
It has been a while since I looked at the TTB but I do not remember a boot on the axel. Pictures? I know that pulling apart the slip yoke can be a pain in the a$$ I tried in a JY once need a real good slide hammer with the right connection to the stub.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The front passenger stub axle is stuck in the rubber boot. People online say "just pull it out" but that isn't working. There are no clips attached to the boot, and unless there is a replacement part available, I do not want to cut the boot or melt it with a torch. How do I get it out?
It won't come out by just pulling it, you need to cut the band on the boot and then it will pull right out. Zip tie works okay for reinstalling the boot.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
As mentioned above you will need to cut the clamp then it will slide out, be carefull and dont rip the boot, also put a light coat of grease in the inner axle and on the stub shaft before you reinstall it

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,760 Posts
Jack the bronco frame up as high as you can, so that the TTB can go to full droop. Its likely that there is rust on the splines of the slip joint. Going to full droop will help break that loose and allow the slip shaft to slip.

If the bootie still wont come off, get a radiator hose pick and slide it between the rubber and the shaft to break whatever seal has formed.

I left my bootie off the slipshaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts