Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pick of the old front rotor on my 88 XLT BKO. Is this a auto or manual locking hub rotor. I know what my truck is, but i'm in a fight with the parts house. Just want to see if I'm right or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
auto or manual hubs are the same OD, for a given year, right? i have seen many people switch from auto locking hubs to manuals and vice versa, just by changing the hub itself (and nothing else)...therefore rotors are the same diameter..

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
huh, and here i thought your rotors had absolutely nothing to do with your 4WD.

It doesn't. The only thing you need to worry about is if your Auto hubs have three screws or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, here's the thing, the parts house gave me some rotors for my truck, supposedly manula hub rotors...... i got home, took the old rotors off, popped the hub off, and whaddya know, the hubs don't fit in the new rotors..... took em back, took my old rotor, matched em up with what they said were the hubs for auto lockers....... i've got MM standard manual hubs..... no conversion kit...........

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, and Rob, if the hub don't fit inside the rotor, no 4WD....... so, i think the rotor does have a little thing to do with it................ and if the hub don't fit, no tire either..........
Bob

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
The donor bronco and my bronco.

My donor has auto hubs. My DD has manual hubs. From what i have measured there is no difference between the two. I was actually thinking about putting the auto hubs on my DD.

They gave you the wrong rotor. I could technically take the rotor off my donor bronco and turn around and put it on my DD. I think the parts wharehouse gave you the wrong rotor. That's just my opinion though.

Last time i checked the Auto hub to manual hub conversion didn't require anything other than new hubs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the outer diameter is the exact same, i'm talking ID ,where the hub fits into the rotor........... And yes, they gave me the wrong rotor, the gave me the auto hub rotor, not the manual hub rotor....... if ya look at rotors on say autozone, they ask if they are manual or auto hubs, the part #'s are different

·
Registered
231 Posts
the O.D. of the hub assembly is the same size, the only difference is the "hub" and a few inner parts. They gave you the wrong part #, and A-zone blows if you want the correct parts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've got the right ones now, fighting with autozone about price difference........ ya i know autozone blows, but, when on disability, ya gots to do what ya gots to do..................

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I have purchased numerous rotors and never have I been asked if the hubs were auto or manual. The guy you were dealing with is either new or simply retarded.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I honestly don't think the OD of a manual hub and a automatic hub are different, the only thing different is the inner workings

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the autozone computer popped that question up, csk asks the same thing.... pepboys same thing....... and Rob, ID is what i'm asking about..... look up a few posts........

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
The OD of a manual hub and a autohub are the same i believe. Making the ID of the rotor the same.

The ID of the hub (if there is one) really doesn't matter. The O.D. of the hub does.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey Rob, just looked it up, the part # for an 88 FSB, the part numbers are different, #5460 for manual, #5446 for auto........
all i'm trying to do is get my 20 bucks back from autozone............

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
So why doesn't the part number change for the more expensive sets?

I dunno, that's kind of odd to me. I just noticed that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the one they tried giving me, had some sort of bearing outer race where the hub was to sit, who knows.............. thanks for the help Rob........ I guess I'll just go talk to em tomorrow and try gettin my money back again...........

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
Well wait, someone will be along with more knowledge than me. I just assumed that there was never a difference, simply because i had never seen a tech-write up where they had to change their rotors out.

Mine came with manual hubs, the donor has auto's, i will have to look tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts