Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to buy parts for my front 60 now and im utterly stuck about which direction to go with the "traction aid" I want some kind of "locker". My budget is kind of tight thou.

I welded my rear 14 bolt when i regear it(ok, dave's bronc 90 welded it) So its for all partical purposes spooled.

My bronco will see some on road use, but not much, driving to trails and around town, thats about it.

My initial plan was to just weld the front solild too. But im beginning to have second thoughts. I've read about spooled fronts being insane hard to turn. My other option would be a lockrite. I can't afford an ARB, maybe a detriot, but that would be stretching it some. I've also heard that the detriots and lockrights are a bear to turn as well, but not as bad as the spool.

Also, a spool would be a little harder on the u-joints/shafts i assume. Since its always locked. Im not doing the one hub unlocked mess either.

Another option would be to leave the front open right now, but i don't really care for that.

When its all back together my bronco will have 14bolt/d60 with 4.88s. Healthy 393 EFI stroker, zf5, twin sitcked 205, and probably 38-39 inch tires. Stock shafts up front with new spicer joints. Also, i don't really want to have to put hydro assist on the truck as soon as i get it all together, but it would be a future mod.

I guess what im looking for is some real world experience. Has anyone ran a spooled front and a lockrite or detroit up front that could tell me how different they are. If theres not much difference between a lockrite/detroit and a spool, then ill just weld it solid and call it done. And also i am aware of the risks in welding the spiders/side gears.

Any opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
weld it. everything else is for sissies.

twin stick the 205 and put line locks on it.

if you have a detroit up front and loose a shaft your risking taking out the detroit.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Front locker does suck in the snow unless your stuck then it's really nice to pull you out with both tires spinning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All depends on where you are/ what you do. Weld that biatch together if you don't drive in 4X on the street.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know for a fact it wont really be driven in the snow. MAYBE once a year, but probably not even that much.

anyone else?

·
Registered
453 Posts
i welded myne all up front and rear. hard on tires but nice because i dont get stuck easy. the thing that sux is i have locking hubs so i can leave it locked.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Welded front and back increases turning radius by a huge amount and is murder on U-joints. Front 60 should survive though.

The front lockrights I've used do seem to unload quite bit easier than a detroit, making them a possible choice. I would not do the detroit front, too much money when a lunchbox/welded can get pretty much the same thing.

I'd weld it, put the locker money towards a cheap hydrosteer setup (tap the box yourself, get a surplus center ram, and make you own lines). As mentioned, twin stick the 205, and put in cutting brakes. All of that together should take care of your steering problems.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will def. twin stick the 205 before i put it in the truck. I had actually been throwing around putting in line locks, so i guess its a definite now.

Im leaning to welding it up again. Im starting to have a hard time justifying spending 300 bucks on a locker that is almost the same as a spool. I think im gonna weld it and put hydro assist on it after its back together. Then just save my pennies for an ARB or OX locker

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,673 Posts
If you weld/spool the front, youre gonna want hydro-assist for sure. It is a bitch to steer mine when the ARB is locked up.

ARB all the way!

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Josh, you sat shotgun when I was trying to steer with the lockright. You do recall how much fun that was, right?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Josh, you sat shotgun when I was trying to steer with the lockright. You do recall how much fun that was, right?
yup, i sure do. But im just wondering if a spool could really be any worse than that. I don't guess yours was ever unlocking in the turns, i don't think it could have been. Could you tell? Thats what is keeping me from getting a lockrite. I might end up paying $300 for a locker i could have made for next to nothing at daves house.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
yup, i sure do. But im just wondering if a spool could really be any worse than that. I don't guess yours was ever unlocking in the turns, i don't think it could have been. Could you tell? Thats what is keeping me from getting a lockrite. I might end up paying $300 for a locker i could have made for next to nothing at daves house.
My front lockright feels like it never unlocks also. It's almost impossible to turn on any surface with good traction.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
.....But im just wondering if a spool could really be any worse than that. I don't guess yours was ever unlocking in the turns,
If his didn't unload, then it would be as close to a spool as can be.

I very rarely turn corners with the front ARB on; it just feels like something is going to break. :toothless

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Yeah, that sucker never wanted to unlock. As long as there's load on it, it seems to stay locked up. If you're going selectable up front in the future, just weld it, as long as you understand the consequences. (by the way, I got my lockright for $200 in nc4x4)

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that sucker never wanted to unlock. As long as there's load on it, it seems to stay locked up. If you're going selectable up front in the future, just weld it, as long as you understand the consequences. (by the way, I got my lockright for $200 in nc4x4)
Ive been checkin the forums. 35 spline lockrights dont go for cheap when i can find them. I have seen lots of cheap lockrights for other axles thou.

IM pretty sure ill just weld it now. Save for a ARB in the future.......distant future....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts