Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the haynes manual it says to use a chain for the removal/installation of the front springs... not sure i get what they mean? does the chain re-place the "spring compressor" tool? don't know what i did with my shop manual:doh0715:

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
The intent is to tye the chain around or hrough the coil spring and secure it to the frame, so the spring doesn't go flying out when you try to remove it. You definitely want to do that with the IFS set-ups with upper and lower arms with the spring under tension, but the TTB Bronc coil springs are bolted at the bottom and top. When removing the coil spring, I will remove the tire and wheel, and let the axle drop down until there's no tension on the coil spring. Remove the top retaining bolt and clip, undo the shocks, and the spring can be moved outward a little bit. It shouldn't go anywhere if the bottom cup and nut are still holding it in place to the axle beam. It's merely a safety precaution to chain it up to the frame before unbolting the top clip. In theory, the coil spring could come flying out if it's still compressed and breaks loose from the bottom. Or if the coil is broken, and part of it comes flying out, could hurt you. Chain it if it makes you feel safer, I normally do. JSM84

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Yeah I agree with JSM. It shouldnt go anywhere if the bottom cups are still holding it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The cup will hold it, just make sure not to have any extremities underneath it.
might as well wd40 the bottom bolt now and let it soak over night.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
might as well wd40 the bottom bolt now and let it soak over night.

gave up on wd and lw and pb many years ago. getting my ducks in a row, still have to order parts.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, the chains a safty issue. i get it now, thanks guys.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
For what it is worth....The spring retainer nut is a 1 1/8. Cheapest wrench to remove it is the $20 one you get to tighten the nut on a ball for the tow hitch. Got mine at Wally World. Same one sold at the auto parts places for a few dollars more. It is thin enough to get between the coils to remove the nut. Tried to get a socket and ratchet in there, but was a pain, so went with the box wrench. Good luck. I didn't have any issues with the spring popping. Put the front on jack stands under the frame. Jack under the coil just enough to touch. Remove the shock all the way (it gets it out of the way). Undo the top clamp bolt and if there is no tension against the clamp, remove it. SLOWLY lower the jack. The spring may fall enough to come out of the bucket if stock. If not, a little muscle and pushing down on the beam will relax it enough to get it out from the bucket. When it is flopping around, then you can get at the lower nut a better angle.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
With TTB so long as you disconnect the shock you have odds equal to the number that comes right before zero of launching a coil.

If you undo the upper shock mount and the upper coil retainer, the TTB arm will drop far enough to totally unload the coil. Therefore no need for compressors or chains.

Justin

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you clue me in on the lingo... ttb? ifs?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
can you clue me in on the lingo... ttb? ifs?
If you dont know what either of those mean you have no business removing the front coil springs.

BTW, two half inch extensions can be had less than that wrench, assuming you already have the socket. Alot more uses for them after this one job too.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Becuase of posts like this, someone actualy entered into Wikepedia. Try there.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
BTW, two half inch extensions can be had less than that wrench, assuming you already have the socket. Alot more uses for them after this one job too.
Agreed,

I had the socket, extensions and also the ball nut wrench already, but because of the position, could get the leverage on the ratchet, so out came the box wrench.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is also a whole in the top of the coilbucket that you can fit a socket & extension through to put on the nut to break it loose before popping the coil out of the bucket.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts