Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have something wrong with the front differential if only the rear (both) and left front tire spins in 4wd (rig on jackstands)? With auto hubs removed, the left axle is turning just barely while the other side is going alot faster (same speed as rear wheels). With the engine turned off and in 2wd you can grab the right front axle, turn it and the left one spins as well. Any advice? I'm thinking that the front differential may need a rebuild. What does this usually consist of?

jerome

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The front is an open differential, which means, in most situations there is power to only one front tire. Have you tested the 4wd out, while on the road or off-road?

With the hubs disengaged and the t-case in 2wd, turn the front driveshaft and check for any funny noises, binding, etc.

Maybe one front brake has more drag than the other, causing the one-wheel-peel in the air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reply to yak

My left hub appears toasted. Would a new set of manual hubs possibly be a fix?

jerome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
correction

Correction, the right hub itself looks toasted compared to the left (Corrosion, dirty, slides freely as if spring or something is broken). The left hub looks perfect. I found no metal shavings or anything on either side. Before I put the rig on stands, I tried to engage the 4wd to check it but the front wheels made a clicking noise. I was planning to install manual hubs before the issue of the front diff came into play.

jerome

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Sounds like the hubs are shot.....install a set of manual hubs and set what happens.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Go ahead and replace the hubs but, that is not going to solve your one front wheel turning problem. You need to install a locker, spool, or limited slip (Posi) in the front if you want true 4 wheel drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts