Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco, Eddie Bauer 5.8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '96 Eddie Bauer, putting in new hubs and rotors and was going to replace the bearings as well since I'm already that far. The old hubs had Timken bearings in it so I ordered the exact same part numbers to replace them. What I'm running into is that the new bearings will not seat on the spindle. If i take the old inside bearing out it slips right on but the new one won't even begin to seat. The outer bearings seat just fine. Am I missing something? Is there some special way to get the bearing to seat all the way so I can put things back together?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think I misunderstood your post.

Do you have the hub attached to the rotor but it won’t slide onto the spindle? Or is the inner bearing not seating in the hub at all?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The inside bearing is fully seated on the race in the hub, but the bearing is not fully seating on the spindle itself. Maybe there's been some slop developed on the old inside bearing and that's why it's so easy to get back on vs the new one?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bearings will slide right onto the spindle if you test them without them being in the hub. The only resistance I can see is the new seal giving you a little push back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It won’t be much resistance; there is some flexibility to the inner, black rubber part of the seal that runs along the spindle. You should only start the torquing process after the hub/rotor assembly is fully seated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Found this is a common issue with the Timken inner. I sanded the spindle down to get the fit. The other option is to try National bearings, etc.

Reactions: secretmoomse

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found this is a common issue with the Timken inner. I sanded the spindle down to get the fit. The other option is to try National bearings, etc.
Thanks for that, I'll order one of those as well just to test the theory. So far I've tried Napa and Timken, god forbid you be able to replace the used part with the exact same one.

·
Man of endless projects
10,331 Posts
whats part numbers of the bearings and seals and hubs?. should be a SET37 (inner cone and race) and SET45 (outter cone and race). if you ordered them seperatly then id have to look up the numbers. if you go another brand like National it will be 37 and 35

by replacing the 'hubs', do you mean the locking hub or the actual hub the bearings go into?

do the spindles have any signs of wear on them? or like someone has filed/ground on them? its common when wheel bearings get hot from failure that they damage the spindle. you might need to file the spindle down some

does your spindle have the 'dual wheel seal' spindles? they should be unless they were replaced. these use special wheels seals, and hubs. if you replaced the hubs it might cause an issue with final install not being able to get the lockout installed fully

Product Cosmetics Font Material property Gas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whats part numbers of the bearings and seals and hubs?. should be a SET38 (inner cone and race) and SET45 (outter cone and race). if you ordered them seperatly then id have to look up the numbers. if you go another brand like National it will be 38 and 35

by replacing the 'hubs', do you mean the locking hub or the actual hub the bearings go into?

do the spindles have any signs of wear on them? or like someone has filed/ground on them? its common when wheel bearings get hot from failure that they damage the spindle. you might need to file the spindle down some

does your spindle have the 'dual wheel seal' spindles? they should be unless they were replaced. these use special wheels seals, and hubs. if you replaced the hubs it might cause an issue with final install not being able to get the lockout installed fully

View attachment 197906
Here's a link to the pair of hubs I bought from Napa with the races already pressed in.
Pictures of the hub and the spindle.
Automotive tire Cameras & optics Camera accessory Motor vehicle Camera lens

Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas Cylinder

We did manage to get the bearing to go on, super finiky, but it won't seat far enough to allow the snap ring on. However, we tried the other hub assembly with just the inner bearing and it looks like it seated all the way. Could they have not seated one of the races all the way? The bearings were Set 37 inner and Set 45 outter, as well as a set on the Napa equivalent.

·
Man of endless projects
10,331 Posts
thats defiantly a dual seal spindle. it looks like it has a bit of a lip formed where the spindle steps up to the inner bearing. might need to clean that up some

ya i dont goofed on the part number. it is SET37, not SET38. the 87-88 trucks with the special 'tophat' style lockputs used the SET38 inner and outter.

the buyers guide on the hub/rotors does say '95-96 Bronco' so it SHOULD be the correct one. if it was 94-95 then i would be more concerned about being the wrong one. the whole 'dual seal spindle' has caused alot of issues over the years. seems like aftermarekt is finally getting it right. was only a few years ago did they start selling replacement spindles for the dual seal. didnt know they made the correct hubs for them.

but i would like to know the part number of the seal as that will determine if it is right or not. a 1-piece seal will not fit a 2-piece hub and vice versa.

the seal might be struggling to get over the hub. might need some spinning and some force to get it over. especially if the spindle is already tight.

this is why i want to 100% verify its the correct hub for the spindle. when you use the wrong hub on a 2-piece spindle, it will make that whole 1/8" difference to prevent the inner lock ring.

wouldnt hurt to verify the races are pushed all the way in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts