Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the hub off, c clip, and big o-ring off. Now I put the big ass socket with the 4 prongs on but it (the nut) won't come off. I've broke a rachet (sp) and a breaker bar. So somethings got to still be on, it should have unscrewed or something.

What am I missing. I did print out the tech instruc. on how to do wheel bearings but my truck was a little different. Either way, I'm stuck now. How do you get the nut or what ever that big socket attach. to off. What's the next step. :banghead

I've done tons of wheel bearing before, just never on a 4X4. :cry

Thanks in adv.
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,075 Posts
Some pics would help. But after you have removed the lockouts and the internal mechanise to them you should have a lock nut, a lock ring and then another lock nut. None of those nuts that are on there should be so tight that a breaker bar would break on them. The threads on my spindle were stripped and I was still able to remove them. Make sure you remove the first lock nut, with the 4 pronged socket, then you will have to pick out the lock ring, it has a bunch of little holes in it. Behind that is the last lock nut. Good luck, hope this helps..

If all else fails, check out BMC's write up..

write up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jermil01 said:
Some pics would help. But after you have removed the lockouts and the internal mechanise to them you should have a lock nut, a lock ring and then another lock nut. None of those nuts that are on there should be so tight that a breaker bar would break on them. The threads on my spindle were stripped and I was still able to remove them. Make sure you remove the first lock nut, with the 4 pronged socket, then you will have to pick out the lock ring, it has a bunch of little holes in it. Behind that is the last lock nut. Good luck, hope this helps..

If all else fails, check out BMC's write up..

write up
That's the write up I printed out. There is a couple little diff. things though. Mine only has 3 bolts holding on the hub and I didn't have a c-clip (I do have a grove for one though).

I took off the hub and I am able to fit the big socket in. And it does grab a hold of a big nut, it just won't turn off :banghead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
The inner locknut is supposed to be tourqed to 250ft lbs. It takes some ass to get it off, and somebody might have tourqed the other locknut also...although it shouldn't have been. The biggest problem I had was trying to keep the socket squared (straight in) while trying to break it loose. Just take it slow and steady...and for God's sake, make sure you are loosening and not tightening!!!!!
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,075 Posts
Maybe someone who is more familiar with the auto hubs will chime in here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
93BroncoXLT said:
The inner locknut is supposed to be tourqed to 250ft lbs. It takes some ass to get it off, and somebody might have tourqed the other locknut also...although it shouldn't have been. The biggest problem I had was trying to keep the socket squared (straight in) while trying to break it loose. Just take it slow and steady...and for God's sake, make sure you are loosening and not tightening!!!!!
:histerica
left=loose right=tight

Ya, I'm going the correct way, and yes it is hard to keep the socket straight in. Should I use a impact??

Thanks for the help guys :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
I didn't have an impact when I did mine...don't know if it "could" cause any damage. But I was able to break bot of mine loose with a standard tourqe wrench...only think I can say is to keep at it. If you can snap a pic, that might help..although there really isn't much to take a picture of!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
93BroncoXLT said:
I didn't have an impact when I did mine...don't know if it "could" cause any damage. But I was able to break bot of mine loose with a standard tourqe wrench...only think I can say is to keep at it. If you can snap a pic, that might help..although there really isn't much to take a picture of!
ya, not much to see really. I'll try with a impact of that's my only other option. :banghead
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,075 Posts
Maybe we could see what parts you have off so far, and then figure where to go from there.
 

·
College User
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
If you dont have the c clip off the nuts wont come off, and the nuts should not that tight? You got your brake caliper off? If so does the rotor spin easy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gobucs1 said:
If you dont have the c clip off the nuts wont come off, and the nuts should not that tight? You got your brake caliper off? If so does the rotor spin easy?
yes, the rotor does spin freely, but very rough (bearings went out).

There is a washer in front of the nut but I can move it in & out enough to get it away from the nut. It's spins freely also (the washer) so it shouldn't be stopping the nut from at least turning a little. And I can't seem to get the washer off. It's like it slides out and hit's some type of lip on the shaft. I'm about to shoot this damn thing. :banghead :thumbup
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,075 Posts
That washer you're referring to is the lock ring, use a pick or something to remove it completely before trying to take out the last lock nut. That is most likely what's preventing you from turning getting the last lock nut to come off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
That washer does have to come out...try using a pick. I generally use 2 flathead screwdrivers...get that out, then work on the locknut. Might try some PB Blaster....again don't "think" it would damage anything in there..perhaps some others can chime in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I figured. It should come out, it spins freely.

And I haven't got any nuts out yet.

I'll try a get that washer out, I just don't see why it wouldn't allow me to at least loosen the nut a little. It isn't up against the nut there is a good little distance between the washer and the nut.

Thanks again guys, I'll try again when I get home. :thumbup
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top