Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck to the local auto repair shop to get the front bearings in the wheels replaced, got it back and i think they were too tight, i could hardly turn the wheel. i thought you had to have just a little play to give room for the bearings to expand when they get hot... took it back and they said they were burnt up because water got inside the bearings.. if this is true can someone tell me so i dont sink my truck again and ruin another set of bearings :)

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
Wait...so, you got new bearings, then sunk the truck and destroyed the new bearings?

If that's the case, I wouldn't take the truck back to that shop -- they should have replaced the seals when they replaced the bearings. It is a good idea, though, to re-pack your bearings when you submerge your hub(s).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They're full of shit. If u bitch enough they'll redo it. They burnt up because some joker overtightened them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah thats what i was thinking they overtightend them and they burnt up, they told me even warshing my truck can get water and the bearings and screw them up.... yah ok lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
It very possable to get water and grit inside new bearings even if they have a new seal. The rear bearing seal aint the only place water can get through....depends on how bad ya sink it, what it's sunk in and how long it stays there. And just so you'll know, the design aspects of a factory bearing seal is primarily to keep grease in. It's real easy to overpower the little dirt-wiper portion on the outside edge with water and mud.
Aint saying that the shop didn't over-tighten them to start with because I don't know....I wasn't there. Just saying that if the truck got sunk afterwards and then they say there's water in there, I wouldn't be too quick assume that they were lieing about it. And if there was, I wouldn't warranty them neither.

In addition to the big wheel (hub) bearings and seals, you might want to go ahead and check your spindle seals and bearings the next time the hubs are off. As a rule, splindle (axle) bearings/seals are probably the most neglected items on a Ford 4X4. And while it's out, replacing all the o-rings inside the 4X4 selector hub aint a bad idea either. If they get wore, flattened or torn, they can let water in too.

DGW

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
yah thats what i was thinking they overtightend them and they burnt up, they told me even warshing my truck can get water and the bearings and screw them up.... yah ok lol
I'm with BroncoRN here. That's complete horse sh*t.

I'd call the shop and let them know you're taking it somewhere else. Then tell them they'll be receiving a bill shortly. IMO, if they FUBARed your bearings once (when they were getting paid), why give them another chance (even if it is free)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its currently back up at the shop and there putting a new set on no charge, the truck wasent sunk it was deep enough to cover the hubs though and i was only stuck for a bout 10min

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Took my truck to the local auto repair shop to get the front bearings in the wheels replaced, got it back and i think they were too tight, i could hardly turn the wheel. i thought you had to have just a little play to give room for the bearings to expand when they get hot... took it back and they said they were burnt up because water got inside the bearings.. if this is true can someone tell me so i dont sink my truck again and ruin another set of bearings :)
How long did you have your truck since your service? How many miles?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it was only a week and 120 miles, then they screwed up. After you pick your truck up you should check the bearings out and make sure they are good bearings and the preload is set correctly. I have seen a lot of bearings that got sunk and they never burned up that fast, even with a ton of sand in them. They burned up because the preload wan't set correctly.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Honesty, your best bet is going to be to learn to do your own bearings. Taking it back to a shop every time you submerge a hub will get expensive real quick.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Honesty, your best bet is going to be to learn to do your own bearings. Taking it back to a shop every time you submerge a hub will get expensive real quick.
X2

i got to get the tools to do it first ;), and yah i didnt think the water did it, they deff screwd them up
For the price you paid the shop, you coulda had a good start on the tools you needed, and those can be used to do other things. If you have the will to work on your rig, start getting the tools... these trucks get real expensive(er) real quick when you are paying someone else to do the work...

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
100% on what Dave just said Wheel bearings are so easy to do. And for what you paid to have it done,you could of bought the hub socket and had a shit load of money left.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
is this sunk enough for you?

the thing sat like that for 4 hours before someone came and tugged me out. I still have the same bearings on there... the shop is wrong, those bearings are really really easy to over tighten. some idiot probably just overtightened it with out realizing or checking then they burnt up. do em yourself and you won't be disappointed.

·
Try it now!!
9,115 Posts

:stupid

I was on your side until you said you sunk it. Once its over the hubs, all bets are off. I think you're lucky they are re-doing their work for free. They may have done crappy work but once you sink it, it's too late to complain. And for hubs and bearings, once water rises above the middle of the wheel, it's considered "sunk".

I paid a shop to redo my bearings when I was a sophomore in college, and it was like 350 bucks. That was the last time I paid for bearing work. After I learned it, and bought the tools (20 bucks), I can do the whole job in about 20 minutes. And since it's so easy, any time I think my bearings are contaminated (driving through water) it only costs 20 minutes of my time to make sure they are in good shape.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This is how easy it is. I paid a shop to do some work when I had the bronco. They overtightened the bearings and i could feel temp difference in the hubs. I had never done hubs before - i did the other side and first attempt had no problems!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
this is a simple job to do yourself, for little things like this your best tool is a Haynes or Chilton manual... pay attention to torque settings... obviously if this "mechanic" had done this, you probably wouldnt have posted this... as Id imagine if i had new bearings, packed with new grease and then dropped them and rolled them in sand before installation, Id probably get more than 120 miles out of them if they were not over tightened...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yah i found out what all im gonna need to put them on my self, im also gonna keep a pair of bearings in the truck so if another pair goes out ill be good, thanks guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts