Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found out that my passenger's side wheel bearing is toast, so I have been looking around for all the parts I need. I saw that NAPA has rotors with the hubs together as one unit, and it also mentioned something about the bearing cups coming with it to. Has anyone got one of these before with the hub and rotor together? Does it come with the bearing cups already installed? Does it come with the bearing cones, or will I have to get those seperate?

Before anyone asks, my rotors are starting to show signs of warping, so I might as well replace those too. Plus, since I am probably going to be doing this in the school parking lot and I don't have many tools, it would be nice to have most of the stuff installed so all I have to do is pack the bearings and slap the whole assembly on.

O yea, what do you guys recommend for grease, regular or synthetic, or is it just personal preference?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I mean the race, the NAPA web site calls them bearing cups.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
usually the race comes with a new bearing, but as long as the bearing and race are new it doesn't matter, don't mixed used ones as they are worn in to each other.

I stick with the standard wheel bearing grease, the Valvoline Syn washed out to easy on mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
when you get the hub and rotor assembly from napa they do have the race installed. you buy new bearings and do not use the race that comes with it. grease the new bearing, use a new seal and you are good to go. use a regular wheel bearing grease. every time i use the synthetic grease (i have only used it on 4 or 5 vehicles) at least one bearing goes bad. i have not had a failure with the regular grease.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks, that is what I needed to know.

·
Registered
940 Posts
bringin this old thread back up, i just got the hub/rotor assemblies from napa. for about $35 a side i got the hub, rotor, bearing races pre-installed, wheel studs, and abs tone ring installed (if applicable).
they can come apart, and look exactly like the oem units. unfortunately they are made in china.

i can't believe what a smokin deal this is. i hope it isn't a classic "you get what you pay for" moment.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
That's sounds like a good deal for an entire hub and rotor assembly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
broncobum said:
for about $35 a side i got the hub, rotor, bearing races pre-installed, wheel studs, and abs tone ring installed (if applicable). unfortunately they are made in china.

i can't believe what a smokin deal this is. i hope it isn't a classic "you get what you pay for" moment.
I'd be worried about the quality of those, most rotors by themselves are $35 and up. The hub and rotors I bought were $86 a piece.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
i just bought the hub/rotor assembly...it comes w/ races installed...i bought it because i needed barings and rotors and was tight on time(much quicker if the rotor is already on the hub...)

the wheel bearings from napa have races included also...you could just buy the bearings and pound out ur old races and pund the new ones in...
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54490
there's my write-up for it^^^^^

dc

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Cheap parts are often times barely worth their value in scrap metal. On brake parts I hate cheaping out because it only leads to warped rotors prematurely worn pads and poor braking performance

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I just bought a pair of these, and put them on the truck tonight. Man do I wish I'd bought the higher-end stuff. The splines in the hub are cut so tight that I literally had to hammer the locking hub in. Seems to work, I just hope they last for a little while.

It's definitely a case of "you get what you pay for". I won't make that mistake again. (Napa told me that they are discontinued anyway, so that's good.)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just bought a pair of these, and put them on the truck tonight. Man do I wish I'd bought the higher-end stuff. The splines in the hub are cut so tight that I literally had to hammer the locking hub in. Seems to work, I just hope they last for a little while.

It's definitely a case of "you get what you pay for". I won't make that mistake again. (Napa told me that they are discontinued anyway, so that's good.)
i had absolutely no trouble getting the hubs in, and after two months of hard use they are still sweet. i guess it's like cheap tools. some people have no problems, some people break 'em the first time out. inconsistancies that wouldn't exist with better stuff.

A

·
0 Posts
regular grease runs to hotspots better than synthetic grease does which is why i never use synthetic grease in wheelbearings. it is the way to go for tierod ends and balljoints but not for wheel bearings.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I disagree, considering the safe temperature range of synthetic versus dino, there's no way that regular grease benefits outweigh synthetic's benefits.

When I first got my truck, my dad and I did the FWBs and used plain old grease. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and travel a long highway to get to my fire station, and sometimes it ends with a good fast braking, and during the summer involves a LOT of speed then fast braking.

I changed them about 30k ago, and the bearings looked like shit, and one of the inners was even cracked on one of them.

I just changed them last week after having used synthetic grease instead, and they still looked perfect. And thats even after having been submerged in salt water several times, and two full summers of fire response. I can even remember several calls where I got out of my truck and noticed my brakes stinking.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a pair of these, and put them on the truck tonight. Man do I wish I'd bought the higher-end stuff. The splines in the hub are cut so tight that I literally had to hammer the locking hub in.
Did you buy the $35 dollar ones that were mentioned earlier? The ones that I got, almost $100 each were very good quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts