Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my bronco is up on jackstands again. just doing some routine mantainace. went to repack the wheel bearings, and ended up needing new bearings. i also yanked the spindle off so i could remove that dust sheild, it just seemed to be more problem than a good thing. the bearing in the spindle for the drive shaft was beyond shot. ate up the outter shaft a bit, so who knows how long new one will last now. seeing how those seals work, i have a feeling that i will be replacing the spindle bearing on a regular basis now. i took pics, but superford is down again.

so two questions. i'm better off with the dust shield gone right? wont trap dirt and mud, easyer to clean with out it there.
and the spindle bearing. what kinda problems ya'll think i'm in for with the shaft being tore up? since the axle isnt supporting the weight of the truck, i didnt see it being the biggest deal so i sanded the shaft, and installed a new bearing with seals and called it a day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cant really help with the dust shield, but depending on how bad the spindle is, you will probably be ok. If it wasn't galled to much and there are no high spots. Any high spots will "cock" the bearing. I havent done it, but to replace the spindle looks like a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
just stick a new bearing in the spindle and call it good. it will be okay if it slops aorund some. just make shure the shaft doesn thave any burs on it, grease it up and stick it back toghther.
remeber, your going to tear it all apart again after you go in deep water anyways....
as for the dust sheilds. around here they fall off on there own.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Dust shields are good for shielding that Rock thats stuck Between the shield and the Disk from danger..

I pulled my last summer and didn't get that annoying Rock squeak all year:) Man it was great.

·
Super Moderator
14,772 Posts
Alan, my spindle bearing was shot on the driver's side as well. I'm not sure if that resulted in my dirver's side hub going out on several occasions, but since I replaced that spindle I havn't had any problems. Wished I new you could just replace the bearing in the spindle it would have made life a lot easier. I'm with Zach on the dust sheild. Cut around it to where it mounts behind the spindle to keep the dimensions and tolerances the same.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i recently took mine off. i havent wheeld it yet but dont no if it was a good idea. the rotor seems very exposed and now im woried about geitng a lot of mud and rocks stuck there or even betwen the rotor and wheel or destorying the grease seal. what are your opions

·
Try it now!!
9,125 Posts
I havent heard of anyone having problems with their rotor getting damaged due to lack of dust shield. That flimsy thing wont stop anything if it has enough force to damage the rotor...it will damage it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
you can get the best spindel bearings from napa , the bearing has more needles and on a good note they are made bye the people that invented the needle bearing. i just bought some and they actually showed some improvements ---> when turning <--- just my 02

oh yea cut the cover to keep the same specs , i am keeping mine it dosent harm anything and dosnt limit anything, as for the seal i would keep those too and pack everything tight with good grease and pack it tight. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts