Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my right front wheel about fell off yesterday on the on ramp to the freeway. All the studs were sheered off and the wheel was pretty much just sitting on the hub. Just jacked it up and the wheel pretty much fell off.

I replaced the studs no problem but can't seem to get the C clip back on the front axle. IT seems like the front axle has pulled back into the spindle. Any ideas on how to get the axle out far enough (just need about 1/8 of an inch) to put the spindle spacer and C-Clip back on?

Also, the spindle spacer has a flat and a concave surface, anyone remember which way the flat face faces?

Thanks

Bakes

·
Registered
80 Posts
use a pry bar by putting it in the ujoint on the back side and push the axel out towards the wheel. As far as the I don't remember mine being flat and concaved. hope this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have an 86 fullsize dont know if its the same but you should be able to lever it out with a crow bar from the back. if all else fails install an aftermarket set of hubs like milemarker.the c-clip and spacer are not used when you install the kit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have aftermarket milemarkers.

The C-Clip and the spacers are, as far as I can tell, something to keep the wheel from falling off if the locknuts ever come loose. It does not look like they serve any other purpose.

I will try the prybar technique.

I should be OK driving 45 miles home without the C-Clip and spacer though right??

Thanks

Bakes

·
Registered
193 Posts
the install instruction sheet for the milemarkers have diagrams showing which parts to discard.if you still have the sheet take a look.the c-clip and the splined washer goes.if you were able to install the milemarkers with them still in place thats great.added insurance.but on my bronco it would have been impossible.i couldnt install them without taking those parts off.i agree that they keep the locking nuts from backing off but according to milemarker they need to go for the manual hubs to work.i was very leery about not using them but thats what the instructions call for.i have them on for 5 months with no problems.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Nesta said:
use a pry bar by putting it in the ujoint on the back side and push the axel out towards the wheel. As far as the I don't remember mine being flat and concaved. hope this helps.
Nesta hit the nail on the head. Thats one way to do it. I used a hammer and a big f**king screwdriver and hit it until it pushed it out enough to get the c-clip on.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Bakes5 said:
I have aftermarket milemarkers.

The C-Clip and the spacers are, as far as I can tell, something to keep the wheel from falling off if the locknuts ever come loose. It does not look like they serve any other purpose.

I will try the prybar technique.

I should be OK driving 45 miles home without the C-Clip and spacer though right??

Thanks

Bakes
Nah, the c-clip keeps the axle shaft tight against the seal on the backside of the spindle to keep the elements out.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
You mean that little washer is important?? I busted one of mine. and never replaced it. Been about 600 miles so far, and never had an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts