Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Board-I need help, I’m getting rather frustrated here. So much that I took a Dremel to it. Nothing permanent or visible but damn I’m frustrated. My problem is my hood seems to be about 1/4 inch from closing properly. It closes and i have to use the hood pull to get it open like normal but I can push it down about 1/4 inch (roughly) where it would be perfect looking and tight. I’ve adjusted this thing every which way I can think of. Tried to attach a video so you guys and girls can help me out. I’m so close on this thing....

How the hell do I insert a 9 second video from my IPhone.....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hello Board-I need help, I’m getting rather frustrated here. So much that I took a Dremel to it. Nothing permanent or visible but damn I’m frustrated. My problem is my hood seems to be about 1/4 inch from closing properly. It closes and i have to use the hood pull to get it open like normal but I can push it down about 1/4 inch (roughly) where it would be perfect looking and tight. I’ve adjusted this thing every which way I can think of. Tried to attach a video so you guys and girls can help me out. I’m so close on this thing....

How the hell do I insert a 9 second video from my IPhone.....
I put the video onto imgur then linked it. worked out that way. otherwise you can only post like a 5 second video directly where the site hosts it.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Check the condition of your core support, the bottom of those have a tendency to rust away, which drops the core down, pulling the fender fronts down, and the hood latch.

·
Super Moderator
29,116 Posts
Yo K,
In event core support is good;
Section 01-02: Body Panels, Front End
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual​
ADJUSTMENTS
Hood Hinge
  1. Open hood (16612).
  1. On one side, place a rag between hood and cowl and loosen hinge-to-hood screws, then retighten snugly but not tight. Remove rag.
  1. Close, but do not latch hood (secondary latch will latch, but not primary). Adjust until parting line between hood and cowl is even all the way across and the distance between the hood and the front fenders (16005) is even on both sides and front to back.
  1. Raise hood and tighten hood hinge screws.
  1. Close hood and make sure it latches properly. If necessary, adjust hood latch (16700).
Hood Alignment
  1. Open hood (16612) and mark hood hinge (16796) and hood latch (16700) locations.
  1. Loosen inner screws attaching hood hinge to front fender (16005).

ItemPart NumberDescription
    116796Hood Hinge
    2N803506-S55Screw and Washer Assembly
    3N800538-S100U-Nut
    416612Hood
    516K700Link Assembly, Hood Hinge (RH)
    616K702Link Assembly, Hood Hinge (LH)
    716005Front Fender (LH)
    8N800628-S36Washer
    9N800297-S55Bolt
    ATighten to 17-27 Nm
    (13-20 Lb-Ft)
    BTighten to 15-20 Nm
    (11-15 Lb-Ft)
  1. Adjust the hood hinge up or down or rotate as required to obtain a flush fit between the hood and top of cowl panel. Tighten inner bolts attaching hood hinge to front fender.
  1. Loosen two screws attaching hood latch.
  1. Loosen screws attaching hood hinge to hood.
  1. Move the hood forward or rearward and from side to side as required for a proper hood fit. Then, tighten screws attaching hood hinge to hood.
  1. Move hood latch from side to side as required to center hood latch with the hood latch striker (16K689). Tighten hood latch attaching screws.
  1. Lubricate each hood hinge at all pivot points with Multi-Purpose Grease Spray D7AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M1C159-A and ESB-M1C106-B.
  1. Check alignment of hood and hood hinge by opening and closing hood.
  1. Make sure lubricant has worked into pivot points.

Reactions: KCD

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the condition of your core support, the bottom of those have a tendency to rust away, which drops the core down, pulling the fender fronts down, and the hood latch.
Core support is new.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yo K,
In event core support is good;
Section 01-02: Body Panels, Front End
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual​
ADJUSTMENTS
Hood Hinge
  1. Open hood (16612).

1. On one side, place a rag between hood and cowl and loosen hinge-to-hood screws, then retighten snugly but not tight. Remove rag.

1. Close, but do not latch hood (secondary latch will latch, but not primary). Adjust until parting line between hood and cowl is even all the way across and the distance between the hood and the front fenders (16005) is even on both sides and front to back.

1. Raise hood and tighten hood hinge screws.

1. Close hood and make sure it latches properly. If necessary, adjust hood latch (16700).
Hood Alignment
  1. Open hood (16612) and mark hood hinge (16796) and hood latch (16700) locations.

1. Loosen inner screws attaching hood hinge to front fender (16005).
    View attachment 166118
    ItemPart NumberDescription
    116796Hood Hinge
    2N803506-S55Screw and Washer Assembly
    3N800538-S100U-Nut
    416612Hood
    516K700Link Assembly, Hood Hinge (RH)
    616K702Link Assembly, Hood Hinge (LH)
    716005Front Fender (LH)
    8N800628-S36Washer
    9N800297-S55Bolt
    ATighten to 17-27 Nm
    (13-20 Lb-Ft)
    BTighten to 15-20 Nm
    (11-15 Lb-Ft)

1. Adjust the hood hinge up or down or rotate as required to obtain a flush fit between the hood and top of cowl panel. Tighten inner bolts attaching hood hinge to front fender.

1. Loosen two screws attaching hood latch.

1. Loosen screws attaching hood hinge to hood.

1. Move the hood forward or rearward and from side to side as required for a proper hood fit. Then, tighten screws attaching hood hinge to hood.

1. Move hood latch from side to side as required to center hood latch with the hood latch striker (16K689). Tighten hood latch attaching screws.

1. Lubricate each hood hinge at all pivot points with Multi-Purpose Grease Spray D7AZ-19584-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M1C159-A and ESB-M1C106-B.

1. Check alignment of hood and hood hinge by opening and closing hood.

1. Make sure lubricant has worked into pivot points.
Thanks Miesk5-I’ve got new springs, guess I’ll put those one and work from there. Thanks again.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

let me know if this works properly!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,116 Posts
Yo KCD,
Sorry,
I can't see what occurs, bad vision here.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
On each end of the core support there should be a hood bumper, looks like an adjustable mushroom. When the hood is closed, the hood should hit those to keep the hood from closing any further. The hood latch keeps the hood from going up. and those bumpers keep it from going down. You either don't have them, or they are not adjusted correctly.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
one of the big questions is how it lines up with the fenders with and without pushing it down that 1/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It lines up perfectly, both “mushrooms” and latch are there as well. I’ve got new springs I’m going to put on it and go from there. It just seems that the latch needs to be 1/4 to 3/8’s lower but I’ve got latch down as far as it will go. Hence the dremel. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
How many shims did you put in when you installed the core support? The fenders are located by the shims under (or above) the core support bolts (the fenders bolt to the core). Too many shims, and the core support is too high, and thus the latch is too high.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many shims did you put in when you installed the core support? The fenders are located by the shims under (or above) the core support bolts (the fenders bolt to the core). Too many shims, and the core support is too high, and thus the latch is too high.
Absolutely no idea. I didn’t install any of it. I’m going to start with new springs, take the latch out, adjust hinges, springs and bumper stops and get hood lined up perfectly and tightly, then reinstall latch and go from there. Sheesh...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok-think I found my problem- now need help fixing it. After hours of adjusting, sliding, cowl adjust etc, I think i have the hood close. However, I still have this “gap” issue. A quick note, virtually all of the sheet metal on the Bronco is new. I think the front of the drivers side quarter panel need to be “pushed in” about 3/8’s of an inch or less. See pictures. All of these pics are without the latch and springs. My question is; is there an “easy” way nudge the front of the quarter panel in? I loosened those four bolts at the front but didn’t seem like it wanted to move. You can see from pictures I’m just a few hairs away! Any ideas? Please tell me this can be fixed without going back to body shop!! Thanks Board!!!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,320 Posts
Hate to say this but it looks like your front end is not lined up square. Your going to have to true up the fenders to the body and go from there, hopefully whoever did the work didn’t put too many shins in the core but I’m betting they did.

Reactions: Mikey350
1 - 15 of 15 Posts