Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have too many projects. I need to get rid of or re-prioritize them. Here is an outline of the problem and hey please give me your thoughts, no stupid hey just give it to me posts.

I have 3 antique trucks a 49 5 window chevy truck, a 46 ford truck, and a 52 ford panel van. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in ever showing these trucks, it would simply be enough restoration to drive around town and enjoy. Looking at it that way I decided to drop the chevy truck and put it up for sale. What should I do with the other two?

Should I restore them? Should I sell them? I will never get much more enjoyment out of them than running around town so do I really need two of them for that? My heart is much more set on probably keeping the 46 ford as the body style is just my favorite. I have done nothing with the panel van but the 46 is already part way through restoration having been moved onto a bronco frame/drivetrain this year. I joke that it is my "8th bronco".

When you suggest what to do with these remember I have 7 other broncos taking up my time and restoration efforts. So do I hold onto it hoping that some day I would find time or interest to do something with it or do I just dump it?

I have been looking for an EB which pushes that vehicle even furthur down the list. :doh0715:

Thoughts? Those two trucks have sat in the yard since the day they were moved there untouched entirely.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Id say, sell the Panel van and the Chevy. I would keep the 46 Ford Truck and setup a montly budget that you would use towards that truck and that truck alone, say $100-$200. If you have to put it in a storage shed for now then do that. Just start accumulating all the parts you need for it first, then once you have what you need for the partial resto, you can get it all done at once.

It sounds like to me though, from your post that you have already decided to sell them all. I would keep at least one (46 Ford) otherwise you would probably regret selling them. YOu could get some good money for the panel van and Chebbie.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
I would sell them all. Take the money you get from them and go find an EB.

Ive tried to restore a 61 ford unibody, and a 48 dodge truck. At the same time as having other vehicles to modify or enjoy. The two trucks got sold. The 61 was driveable, just had some pressure problems, the 48 need a full frame off. Yes it sucks, but in the long run itll be worth it. But yeah id sale all 3 of those and either put the money towards one of the 7, or get an EB.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang I wouldn't have to sell all three to buy the EB, that would only be 500 bucks. I'll probably at least get 1500 off of the chevy alone. It has a rare package and is in complete original condition with a running straight 6 in her.

The panel is going to bring less. The 46 would be a toss up, as who wants something so far modified? I would probably end up keeping it for at least awhile if I got rid of the other two..... Kind of like 93beast is saying. Although I don't have to set a budget or anything like that, I have more of a time problem than anything. Not made of money but not hurting either.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you do get rid of the '52 whatcha think ya might want for it? if my wife would let me get another project
I guess that is part of what I am trying to figure out. What is the attraction to that truck, or bodystyle? I feel like I should want this truck more, but something just isn't clicking for me :scratchhe

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I picked up an EB then I would be splitting my time towards that. aghhhhhhh LOL.

Just feel bad watching vehicles rot waiting to get attention from me. You know I spent 3 hours last weeknd on the chevy and got the engine turning over and all I could think is if I put half of the effort each vehicle deserved into it then everything would at least run and drive. :/

Is this just a phase in my life or is it impossible to get past that many projects to work on?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I have too many projects. I need to get rid of or re-prioritize them. Here is an outline of the problem and hey please give me your thoughts, no stupid hey just give it to me posts.

I have 3 antique trucks a 49 5 window chevy truck, a 46 ford truck, and a 52 ford panel van. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in ever showing these trucks, it would simply be enough restoration to drive around town and enjoy. Looking at it that way I decided to drop the chevy truck and put it up for sale. What should I do with the other two?

Should I restore them? Should I sell them? I will never get much more enjoyment out of them than running around town so do I really need two of them for that? My heart is much more set on probably keeping the 46 ford as the body style is just my favorite. I have done nothing with the panel van but the 46 is already part way through restoration having been moved onto a bronco frame/drivetrain this year. I joke that it is my "8th bronco".

When you suggest what to do with these remember I have 7 other broncos taking up my time and restoration efforts. So do I hold onto it hoping that some day I would find time or interest to do something with it or do I just dump it?

I have been looking for an EB which pushes that vehicle even furthur down the list. :doh0715:

Thoughts? Those two trucks have sat in the yard since the day they were moved there untouched entirely.
Well, so much for my help.:histerica

Seriously, I would sell the two you don't want and use the money to fix the one you want to keep. Sounds like your plate is pretty full, but if you don't need the money then keep the one you want.
I made the mistake of selling a 50 chev torpedo back, I loved it, it drove like a modern car, but because I was stupid, I sold it for cheap for reasons I can't even remember now, and if I were to buy that same car today in the same condition, it would cost me at least double.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I worry about that a lot. I dont want to regret anything I do. I just wonder how many years should I let stuff sit before admitting I might never get to them, or am I just frustrated and tired and stretched thin, maybe I would have more time someday?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,914 Posts
I feel like I should want this truck more, but something just isn't clicking for me.
Kinda like being attracted to a guy. You're either into him, or you're not. Last guy I dated, I kept thinking I *should* be more into him, but it just wasn't there. If you try to force it, you'll just end up resenting it.

I can look at a truck and it either does it for me, or it doesn't. Sounds like you're really not into the panel truck. It may be that right now most of your focus is devoted to the "Four Door" variety. The way you run across trucks and pick up projects, down the road you may find another panel truck that'll be the one where it clicks and you think, this is the one to fix.

On that note, lemme take it off your hands. I'll keep it safe. :toothless [Wish I had the money for it. :cry]

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
To many irons in the fire! IMO, but you know that. That has often been the case for me also.

Since the 46 has the most work done to it and it will probley be the hardest to sell because of the mods you just need to keep it IMO. And it will also be the easest to sorce parts for because of the mods(chassis wise).

Sell the other 2 and dont look back. If you take a loss so be it, your peace of mind will be worth it.

I would suggest finishing the 46 before getting another project though, it is just easier to focus on one project at a time and the builds will to faster doing so. Do this, tell yourself that you will not buy a EB until the 46 is done!!
WOW, now that 46 will be done in no time!

Now all being said, I know that you probley enjoy doing all the work yourself. But since money is not the problem and time is, maybe you should consider sourceing some of the work out so that you can catch up. Just an idea to make things easier. Thats my 35 cents. Good luck.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kinda like being attracted to a guy. You're either into him, or you're not. Last guy I dated, I kept thinking I *should* be more into him, but it just wasn't there. If you try to force it, you'll just end up resenting it.

I can look at a truck and it either does it for me, or it doesn't. Sounds like you're really not into the panel truck. It may be that right now most of your focus is devoted to the "Four Door" variety. The way you run across trucks and pick up projects, down the road you may find another panel truck that'll be the one where it clicks and you think, this is the one to fix.

On that note, lemme take it off your hands. I'll keep it safe. :toothless [Wish I had the money for it. :cry]
What you are saying makes sense completely, I guess it was cool in thought but when I look at it I just can't ever get motivated to do anything with it. I think reality hit tonight when I started cruising google images trying to get excited about doing something with it and none of the trucks that were finished really stood out to me. I was just like dang if I can't even get excited is it worth it?

To many irons in the fire! IMO, but you know that. That has often been the case for me also.

Since the 46 has the most work done to it and it will probley be the hardest to sell because of the mods you just need to keep it IMO. And it will also be the easest to sorce parts for because of the mods(chassis wise).

Sell the other 2 and dont look back. If you take a loss so be it, your peace of mind will be worth it.

I would suggest finishing the 46 before getting another project though, it is just easier to focus on one project at a time and the builds will to faster doing so. Do this, tell yourself that you will not buy a EB until the 46 is done!!
WOW, now that 46 will be done in no time!

Now all being said, I know that you probley enjoy doing all the work yourself. But since money is not the problem and time is, maybe you should consider sourceing some of the work out so that you can catch up. Just an idea to make things easier. Thats my 35 cents. Good luck.
I think the more I look at it and the more I read through here I feel like that would be the way to go. Then I wouldn't completely regret it since I would still have one left.

The whole paying people to work on my stuff thing doesn't work out. I swore about 4 years ago that I would never pay anyone to work on my stuff again and I haven't. It gets old as a female to watch myself get burned over and over again. They think I am much stupider than I am and then it turns into WWIII about why they thought it would be ok to replace shit I did not tell them to touch. Just too damn old, I'd rather do it myself. Which is where I run into time trouble. :banghead

Audra,do you have any pics of the 46?That could make a pretty sweet lil Rat Rod,I been wanting.If you dont mind shoot me a e-mail with some pics and a price.Hell I may take that "project" off your hands?Let me know please! :beer
Wood, honestly I couldn't think of letting it go until I knew I wouldn't regret it. It is my favorite and the only one I have gotten motivated to work on. I'm definately keeping it for now. Worried I might be temporarily insane for even thinking about selling the other two.

Just wondered how everyone else feels when they get overwhelmed with projects?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,315 Posts
I also have trouble letting go of projects, & have too many today. I did sell off a 58 Jaguar that the description of your 52 reminded me of. It seemed like I should have been excited about it, but never was.

At this point I enjoy seeing the occasional similar car, but don't regret selling it. I have had fun with projects that have been more interesting to me in the time that I would have wasted on that one that wasn't right for me.

The guy who bought the jag was thrilled & loved it. He made payments for over a year to get that car, & it meant something to him, while to me it was just something that I had to work on. It was satisfying to see it find a good home.

You might look toward selling it to the right buyer, rather than just selling it. Maybe someone you know, who you will see restore & enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I kinda know how you feel. I feel bad sometimes that I push my older F150 into a corner of the yard and let it deteriorate there, so I guilt myself into working on it. But I never enjoy the wrenching, it's more like "work". Where as wrenching on the bronco feels more like a "hobby".

I'd really like to get the F150 running and driveable, but I can't justify spending that much money on it. I sit here and daydream about it and go "Yeah, it'd be fun to cruise around in.." or "It'd be nice to have a 4wd to pull the 4 wheeler with" but when it comes down to it... I don't really need another vehicle.

Deep down, I'm content with my newer F150. Contentment sucks.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
This is why I am down to 5 and have thought about going down to 4.

I keep thinking rebuild the 351w for the Bronco and have it perfect. The sell my 05 chevy (DD) but I look at it and think Kyle is going to be ready to drive in a few years. It would be a great first truck for him. I mean its a v6 5 speed base model truck but is a very nice truck for a first car. A lot nicer than what I had as a first car...:banghead

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Your problem of having too many irons in the fire is definitely one that I can relate to, but you've seen my shop so I suppose you know that. I know that for me parting with a project, even one that I've had on the back burner for years, is like pulling teeth. You should have seen the look of complete horror on Patty's face one time when I tried to buy a saw mill! Unfortunately though, sometimes you've just got to step back and prioritize. If I were in your situation I would do what several other have already mentioned; sell all three and pick up an EB to restore. Definitely not an easy choice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts