Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the forums here and also the products menu on JBG and I'm not 100% sure what exactly I need to reseal my "cap" on the 94 FSB?

On Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, do I need (3) seals - top edge, and lower sides?

I'm referring specifically to resealing just the cap, not the lower tailgate area below the cap.

How many seals are under just the cap?

Also, is there a tech thread on here that shows or explains how to reseal the fiberglass cap on an FSB, regardless of year?

I need to order new seals and just want to be sure I am ordering the correct quantity and those that I definitely need to do the job in one shot. I do not want to be in the middle of the job and coe to find I'm missing a certain seal, etc.

Any response (or "pointer" to the correct thread) is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i wanted to do this when i found a puddle in the back of my bronco after some rain. i found water coming in from the cap and the tailgate and maybe the cracks around the rain gutters. so i went to a ford steelership and they said i needed the three piece seal for the top. it was way expesive though. so i just went to lowes and got some black silicone sealant. black truck with black top. and ran silicon all around the top. stat on the roof where no one can see till you get the hang of it. if you need to take the top off just put new sealant on. only cost 5$ works great. looks not bad except on the top when i was learning.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yeah, I guess that was what I was wondering too. Is it just easier to buy a tube of silicone and do it yourself, or worth it to buy those expensive ass pieces of rubber from JBG or somewhere else?

·
Harmful if swallowed
2,115 Posts
I had to put new seals on a '94 we had in the shop because apparently the kid did not know how to store the top while it was off and tore the foam.

Be prepared for lots of scraping.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Steve -

Thanks for the added input (again) & the new diagrams added to your album, very helpful. :thumbup

~~~

To those who are saying just to use silicone, sorry, I'm going to pass on that idea. It's possible silicon *might* work for a quick fix or temporary solution. I'd like to reseal the cap the proper way with the proper seals and want it to be resealed as it was from Ford.

Now that I know how many seals are needed, I can place my order (thx Steve).

:chili:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts