Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone

i searched on here coudnt find anything on this. i just got this 88 eddie bauer fullsize and i noticed the steering columns tilt is loose not so bad were it effects the driving but it still erks me i hav to hav a tight steering column wit no movement in the tilt, i had a foxbody that was so bad the steering wheel wud lock up do to the tilt being so bad. so needless to say i was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it or tighten it up somehow or shud i just replace it with a tight used one. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to this site and just traded a 1984 bronco II for a 1985 bronco and I have this same issue.I noticed that the steering u-joint just off the column in the engine compartment was loose.I dont know if this would be our problem or if its the u-joint in the column itself.I have a good steering shaft with a tight u-joint on it from a 1986 bronco that I parted out and I am going to change it out to see if it helps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am new to this site and just traded a 1984 bronco II for a 1985 bronco and I have this same issue.I noticed that the steering u-joint just off the column in the engine compartment was loose.I dont know if this would be our problem or if its the u-joint in the column itself.I have a good steering shaft with a tight u-joint on it from a 1986 bronco that I parted out and I am going to change it out to see if it helps.

ya i googled it and some say it just needs to be tightened up the 2 bolts on the joint and otheres say the bearings cud be shot and r replaceable so im not sure wut to do yet mines not rele bad but still enuf to tick me off lol i even found a place that sells the bearings and retainer bolts. i havnt had mine apart yet but i found one on ebay for cheap so i may jus swap the whole thing out if its easier or take it to a shop c wut they say thanks for the extra info tho man

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the back of the Steering Column, just behind the collar for the Shifter there should be three Hex Head Bolts. 1 on the upper right hand side. 1 on the lower right hand side and 1 on the lower left hand side.

My Steering Column was loose as well and failed inspection and I completely took it apart down to the U-Joint which is loose as well. Although the U-Joint is loose the steering column tightened up 95% just by tightening up these three bolts. I recommend removing the dash to get to these bolts. Ill try to get a picture of the bolts.

·
User Registered
1,279 Posts
On the back of the Steering Column, just behind the collar for the Shifter there should be three Hex Head Bolts. 1 on the upper right hand side. 1 on the lower right hand side and 1 on the lower left hand side.

My Steering Column was loose as well and failed inspection and I completely took it apart down to the U-Joint which is loose as well. Although the U-Joint is loose the steering column tightened up 95% just by tightening up these three bolts. I recommend removing the dash to get to these bolts. Ill try to get a picture of the bolts.
^^^This was one of my problems too. The allen bolts are 3/16 for anyone else reading this. The steering wheel is tight like it should be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there anything related to these parts that would cause my steering wheel to jump up and down excessively whenever I hit a bump or pothole ?

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
Is there anything related to these parts that would cause my steering wheel to jump up and down excessively whenever I hit a bump or pothole ?
By "...jump up and down" Do you mean....
In and out (toward/away) from you...or floor to roof?

Is the column tight in the cradle and against the support under the dash?

If it's just the steering wheel itself, it could be any of the issues described above.... or the flanges / bearings/ pivot pins or any combination, could be worn out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From floor to roof, It's done it since I bought it and it's just had me stumped, the cradle in the dash is tight (had to replace that pesky ignition switch actuator) I appreciate the reply, at least I have a tree to bark up now.

·
Forward Some Money
5,028 Posts
My '89 flunked the VA state inspection when I lived there Same reason. IIRC it had about 150k on it. More importantly, I think Bronco suffer from this because people use the wheel to hoist themselves into the truck.
The first time around I replaced the pivot pins and bearings and tightened things up. It was "ok", and passed but still wobbled.

A few years ago I replaced both flanges and a few small internals and it was like new. I wanted to replace the upper as it looked like someone took a screwdriver to it. I figured while I was at it, and the parts were affordable, I would get both and have them powdercoated to match other interior pieces. It corrected the slop and made it shift much easier. At the time, I should have replaced the bronze gear and actuator as it later developed burrs. I did that recently and it is now like new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts