Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This no start has me pulling my hair out. I've pulled a plug and have good spark. Checked the distributor and it didnt move. Have 40 psi at the fuel rail with a new fuel pump. Noid lights flash when cranking over.Cranks over fine. But nothing, not even a sputter.

About a year ago I woke up and the truck wouldnt start. A few months later I went to work on it, and it started right up and ran fine, but 10 min later when I tried to start it again, it wouldn't start. A few months later, same deal. Now I'm getting nothing.

Any ideas what else to try? Is there a way to check the injectors are actually spitting fuel?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
It's EFI, and everyone knows they can act weird, but just because the dizzy doesn't turn manually doesn't mean it's not the problem. My '89 came up with a problem that the roll pin on the driven gear had sheared. The gear is supposed to be a press fit, but as soon as you lose that fit, the darned pin will eventually shear, and the driven gear turns at engine speed, but the drive shaft drags around, causing the engine to die. If you bump the starter several times, it can bring the shaft around enough to realign it so the truck fires. But it'll eventually crap out, either when you accelerate, or shut the engine off.
Unfortunately, it requires you to pull the dizzy. So it's up to you whether or not you want to tackle that or try other avenues. A quick and dirty thing to try is to unplug then replug each of the sensors on the engine--ECT, ACT, TPS, EVP, then try cranking again. One other thing would be the IAC; if it's going bad, it can be closed all the way, which would not allow enough bypass air to allow for correct ignition and high idle on a cold engine.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT 351W/ZF5, 1996 F150 XLT 351W/E4OD D44 Leaf Sprung SAS
1,435 Posts
What color is your spark?
My 96 wouldn't start one day after work after it had been running fine. Pulled a plug and my sparks were a weak orange color. Replaced the ignition coil and I had nice strong blue sparks again and the engine fired right up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What color is your spark?
My 96 wouldn't start one day after work after it had been running fine. Pulled a plug and my sparks were a weak orange color. Replaced the ignition coil and I had nice strong blue sparks again and the engine fired right up.
X2 on the coil. check the color and go from there.

Have you run compression as well? Not the first option, but a worthy one to try if you are already yanking plugs...

Grab a coil (they are cheap) and slap it in and see if it fires up.

You could also check the cap for cracks and such (if you haven't already) and turn it over to see that the rotor is spinning correctly.

Just some thoughts....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts